Sustainability Management Minor
Quinlan and non-Quinlan students who wish to learn more about sustainability in business and industry may pursue the sustainable business minor.
The minor in sustainability management provides foundational knowledge of the applications of sustainability in management, marketing, and economics. Students will:
- Learn the social, environmental, and economic impacts of current business systems and consumer society
- Explore alternatives to the current system
- Gain an understanding of the scientific, moral, and business case for sustainability
- Learn standards and metrics for gauging sustainability impacts
The sustainability management minor requires 21 hours. The requirements for the minor are:
- ENVS 283. Environmental Sustainability – Tier 2 science course (prerequisites: minimum grade of “C-“ or better in ENVS 137 or UCSF 137)
- ECON 201. Principles of Microeconomics – Quinlan Business Core requirement and Tier 2 Societal Knowledge course
- MGMT 201. Managing People and Organizations - Quinlan Business Core requirement
Required (2 advanced courses)
- ENVS 335. Ecological Economics (prerequisites: minimum grade of "C-" or better in ECON 201)
- ENVS 363. Sustainable Business Management (prerequisites: minimum grade of “C-“ or better in MGMT 201, and ENVS 283)
Advanced Elective Courses
6 hours to be chosen from the following electives:
- ECON 328. Environmental Economics
- ENVS 332. Industrial Ecology
- ENVS 333. Circular Economy
- ENVS 336. Biomimicry Design
- ENVS 364. Sustainability Management in the Global Context
- MARK 320 Marketing for Environmental Sustainability (prerequisite required)
- SCMG 346 Sustainable Supply Chains (prerequisite required)
- MGMT 399 or ENVS 398 Special Topics on a sustainable business topic and with pre-approval
At the discretion of the Quinlan School of Business, a maximum of one transfer course taken prior to matriculating at Loyola University Chicago may be allowed. A 2.0 average GPA is required for all attempted business courses. (BA in Economics students must also earn a 2.0 average GPA for all attempted Economics courses).
Quinlan students are limited to double dipping once (that is, counting one course twice) between any major or minor combination, regardless of what program the major or minor is taken in. Non-Quinlan students are limited to double dipping twice (that is, counting two courses twice) between business school minors and/or their respective majors.
Students planning to study abroad are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor early in the planning stage. A student will be permitted to take up to two approved courses in any Quinlan major or minor (and including BA Economics majors). All courses must be approved by the Quinlan Undergraduate Dean.