Get fit this summer on campus and in the city
Stefanie Strothmann | Student Reporter
Summer is here, and what a perfect time to get in shape or stay active! Health is important and sometimes the traditional idea of going to the gym can seem daunting or downright boring. So why not try something new?
Group classes offer motivation and accountability. They can be a fun way to get active without noticing you have only just started, dying of exhaustion, or looking at the clock every five minutes.
If you are near the Lake Shore Campus, Halas Recreational Center offers a variety of classes to choose from such as:
- All Abs— This intense class focuses on increasing the strength of the abdominal muscles and after 25 minutes will leave you feeling the burn!
- Body Tone— A choreographed total body strength workout, it concentrates on overloading all of the major muscle groups using weights, bands, bars, and exercise balls.
- Boot Camp— This 45-minute conditioning class uses circuit training, obstacle courses, and intervals to build strength and endurance.
- Cardio Kick—This choreographed cardio class combines elements of kickboxing, martial arts, and cardiovascular exercise. It does not involve target mitt training or any physical contact and is designed for all levels.
- Hip Hop Cardio—This 55-minute cardio dance class features popular dance moves to current hip hop hits.
- Pilates— Pioneered by the late Joseph Pilates, this exercise method focuses on the postural muscles of the abdomen and lower back, while providing a total body workout.
- Yoga—This class focuses on building strength, relaxation, and deep stretching as participants flow from one pose to next.
- Rock Climbing—Halas offers two different types of rock climbing: top-ropping and bouldering. The instructors provide you with safety and climbing techniques.
- Group Swim Lessons— This class teaches a variety of swim strokes to stay afloat.
You can find a full list of all the classes at here.
- If you want to join a really big group and get a change of scenery, there are free summer workouts at Millennium Park.
- The lakeshore is beyond beautiful! Why not grab a friend or two, rent a bike from ChainLinks Loyola, and experience the view while trailing along Lake Shore Drive?
- If walking is more your style, you can join Frontrunners/Frontwalkers on Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. or Saturdays at 9 a.m. or the Chicago Walkers on Saturday mornings and Thursdays at 6 p.m.
- Dance your way into fitness. Chicago SummerDance has a variety of bands playing and dance lessons for you to have fun and work up a sweat. Best of all it’s FREE!
- Run a marathon! Chicago has a bunch of races to choose from this summer, and you can do it for a great cause!
- Download a 30 Day Fitness Challenge. Get your friends to join you, and stay motivated together!