Move-In Fall 2020
Students with home addresses within 50 miles of campus will be required to drop their items off early. This option will also be extended to students from up to 150 miles away, though this option is not required for students from 50 to 150 miles. Early drop off will allow us to limit the number of families on campus on each move-in day, and will limit the demand for resources like red bins. We will email students when your building sign-up is available. Appointments will be available from August 3 through August 14 during business hours, and there will be limits on how many students can be moving into a particular building at any given time.
Your early drop off appointment will be limited to one hour. When you arrive to campus, please go right to the Main Parking Garage (P1 on the campus map here). A Residence Life Staff member will be sitting outside the University Welcome Center to assist you. You will be able to bring your items up to your room, which we will unlock in advance of your arrival. When your hour has passed, please go back to the University Welcome Center and let us know you're done. We will ensure your door is locked (most doors will lock automatically when you leave). You should not unpack your items during this time, and your hour appointment cannot be extended. Students should simply drop their items off in their rooms.
Students who take advantage of the early drop off appointments will have a scheduled arrival date of Friday, August 21. On Friday, August 21, you will arrive on campus, pick up your keys and Loyola ID Card and you may unpack your items.
Recently, the City of Chicago has placed a mandatory 14-day quarantine order on individuals arriving to Chicago from the following States: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah. Effective Friday, July 24, travelers from Kansas will also be directed to quarantine. Effective Friday, July 31, travelers from Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Wisconsin will be directed to quarantine.
The list will be updated every Tuesday and go into effect the following Friday at 12:01 a.m. See here for specific information on the City of Chicago website.
Students from the original 18 states listed above will be issued a move-in date and time on Monday, August 17th. From their arrival on Monday, August 17th until Monday, August 31st, students will be required to quarantine in their residence hall room or apartment and attend classes online. Students from Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Wisconsin, as well as students from any state added in the future will move in during their selected time and will quarantine from their arrival. Students from the states impacted by the travel order may still participate in Early Drop Off if they are eligible.
Our on-campus dining service, Aramark, will be coordinating a daily meal kit delivery (included in the student meal plan), to each student door. The meal kit will be delivered daily and will include meal items for that day’s lunch and dinner, as well as the next day’s breakfast. We recommend that students select the 7-day board plan option to ensure that they are getting meal delivery on weekend. Meal plans can be adjusted up until the first week in September, and you can read more about meal plan changes here. More details regarding how to place meal orders will be sent prior to your arrival on campus.
Some families have inquired about coming 14-days in advance of move-in and quarantining prior to move-in. If you opt to arrive in Chicago in advance of your August 17th move-in, you will be required to provide proof of your 14-day quarantine (airline tickets, hotel information, etc.). Please email proof of hotel reservations or flights to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as your arrangements are finalized.
If you do not currently live at the address on file with the university and are not residing in one of the Emergency Travel Order States, please let us know by emailing email@example.com. Please include proof of current address in your message.
Students moving in August 17 through August 20 should follow the below steps. Please note that masks must be worn at all times during the move-in process. Students and families without masks on will be asked to put a mask on immediately or may be asked to leave campus.
- Check-In | We will have check-in zones for various buildings on campus. Please first go to the zone for your building. Provide a photo ID to the staff at check-in station for your building, where you will be issued your key and important information.
- Unload | After checking in, each student and one guest may move their items into their room. Students should limit the amount of items they bring. Please see the packing list section below for more detail.
- Park | After your vehicle is unloaded, please move to main garage.
- Submit eRCR | The Room Condition Report (eRCR) documents the condition of your room prior to your arrival. Please review and submit this form once you are in your room but before you unpack.
- Unpack | Unpack your belongings and get comfortable in your room. Take any trash/recycling to the appropriate designated areas.
- Connect | Check your email for more information about connecting to the network and to the Loyola community.
- Enjoy Welcome Week | Now that you're settled in your room, it's time to live The Loyola Experience, get started by enjoying the various events of Welcome Week!
Welcome to Loyola. Welcome home.
Before Move-In Day, students will receive detailed information via their LUC.edu email address regarding their housing assignment and arrival date/time as well as a link to their digital Move-In Manual in mid-late July. Information is subject to change.
Students will need to complete a few items prior to their arrival on campus. All students need to complete their emergency contact information in LOCUS. Students who have not completed this information in LOCUS prior to their arrival on campus will not be permitted to move into their rooms. Please note that returning students need to enter new information or affirm the information has not changed from last year. Again, if that has not been completed before arriving on campus, you will not be permitted to move in.
We will also be requiring all on-campus students to complete a new Housing Agreement. The new Housing Agreement will include specific expectations the university has for all on-campus students, including social distancing, hand hygiene, and mask wearing. These measures are required for all students living in the residence halls. If you have not agreed to these new expectations prior to move-in you will not be permitted to move in. The new Housing Agreement is still under review by senior administrators and we will email you when you are able to read and sign the agreement.
We invite students and families to think carefully about how their future actions will impact the larger Loyola Community, which includes both fellow students and hundreds of staff members that will be physically present on campus to support residential students.
Welcome to Loyola. Welcome home.
clothing (Chicago weather ranges from hot to cold)
bed linens (twin XL), pillows, and blankets
mobile phone, charger, accessories
basic first-aid supplies
waste basket and bags
computer and accessories
notebooks, folders, binders, etc.
laundry detergent/dryer sheets
High Efficiency (HE) detergent only
sewing kit and safety pins
minifridge or MicroFridge (max 4.2 cu.ft.; 1 per room)
Not permitted in apartment-style buildings
microwave (max. 800 watts; 1 per room)
power strips/surge protectors
|Do NOT Bring||
sofas, futons, and other excess furniture
air conditioning units (all rooms have air conditioning)
appliances with exposed heating elements
pets (except fish)
alcohol or alcohol containers (if under 21)
See the Community Standards for more information.
Welcome to Loyola. Welcome home.
Included below are some tips to help you have an enjoyable Move-In experience.
- Don't overpack | Everything you need should fit into 1 moving cart (carts are 48"x28.5"x59"). Excess furniture is prohibited. Please see our Suggested Packing List (included in the next section) for tips.
- Travel in one (1) vehicle only | Multiple cars, RVs, and other large vehicles will not be permitted in the campus parking garage or residence hall unloading zones.
- Arrive at your allotted time | Move in times will be carefully alotted to allow for social distancing for both students and staff.
- Be prepared | Have a photo ID out and ready as you pull up to your designated unloading area at your assigned time. Unloading areas are outlined in the maps located on the right side of this page.