Auguri! You have been accepted to the John Felice Rome Center! Now it is time to take action and prepare yourself for your time in Rome. Once you have been accepted to the JFRC please follow these steps:
1. Online Application
Within two weeks of receiving notification of acceptance via email, a student must submit a non-refundable deposit of $500, payable online by credit card, to confirm his or her "Intent to Enroll." Visiting students whose home institutions are guaranteeing the deposit need only confirm their "Intent to Enroll." These distinctions will be reflected in the email of acceptance. This deposit will be deducted from the students’ total program cost and secures their spot in the program. Return to the online application to confirm your acceptance and submit your intent to enroll. Loyola University Chicago students log back in with their UVID. Visiting students should sign back on using the e-mail address with which they originally applied.
- Once you have confirmed your "intent to enroll," you will be prompted to complete the following pre-departure documents through the online application system:
- Housing Contract
- Health Self-Evaluation Form
- Flight Itinerary - Semester students will have an option for a group flight from Chicago. As soon as you have purchased your flights, either independently or with the group, upload a copy of your round-trip itineary or your group confirmation letter to your online application.
2. Apply for Scholarships
Note scholarship deadlines.
3. Financial Aid
If you have not done so already, speak to a Financial Aid advisor and check out your Financial Resources.
4. Purchase a Flight:
Semester Students should purchase a flight as early as possible, independently or through our group flight option. (Semester students will receive e-mail notification about a group flight from Chicago.) There are no group flights offered for summer students. Be sure to book your flight with the start and end dates we provide you in mind.
5. Pre-Departure Orientation
Loyola Chicago Students: Complete the online pre-departure orientation in Sakai and attend the in-person pre-departure orientation on campus. Loyola students who fail to attend may imperil their eligiblity to attend the JFRC. Students will be e-mailed during the semester with the date and time of the orientation program(s).
Visiting Students: Obtain your University ID (UVID) and learn how to login to Loyola University Chicago's online systems (LOCUS - Loyola's Online Connection to University Students, Sakai, and Outlook for Email). You can access the online pre-departure orientation on Sakai with your LUC email address. Completing the online pre-departure orientation is essential for preparing yourself to study at the JFRC.
6. Register for Classes
7. Purchasing Books
Summer students must purchase books in the USA before leaving for Rome. Semester students will purchase books on the JFRC campus after arriving in Rome.
8. Apply for a Study Visa
Semester and Full Year Students (Non EU-Citizens) must acquire a study visa. It is mandatory for studying abroad. (NOTE: You do not need a study visa if you are an EU citizen)
Summer Students: If you are an EU or USA citizen, you will not need a visa for summer study. Students of any other nationality must check with the Italian Consulate to inquire if they need a visa and, if so, to learn how to apply for a study visa.
9. Prepare Documentation
Make copies of the following important documents:
- Three (3) separate copies of the passport picture page and visa page (we suggest you scan these two pages and email them to yourself as well).
- Three (3) copies of the letter from the Office for International Programs stamped by the Italian Consulate, failure to bring this letter may result in dismissal from the program. (EU citizens will not need this letter, since it is only issued to visa applicants.)
- Four (4) Passport sized photos (can be done at CVS or Walgreen’s, among other places)
- Three (3) copies of your international health insurance coverage
- You will need to copy the page of your passport with the entry stamp into Europe once you arrive at the JFRC.
10. General Pre-Departure Preparation
Prepare yourself for departure. Explore the luc.edu/rome website and read through the links below before coming to Rome.
Packing Guide In this guide you will find advice on what you will need to bring with you to Rome so that you can begin packing your bags. Remember to check with your airline to learn about bag and weight limits so you don't spend more money than you need to!
Medication Abroad Check with your physician regarding your prescription drugs. Read through this link for advice from our Rome team.
Contact us with any questions! Rome@LUC.edu or call 773-508-2760 or 800-344-ROMA