Crime Alert - Armed Robbery
March 17, 2014
Campus Safety is writing to notify you about an armed robbery that occurred in the 1200 block of W. Albion at approximately 8 p.m. on Monday, March 17.
The incident, which was not reported to Campus Safety until today, March 19, involved a student who was approached by two individuals, one of which brandished a firearm and stole the victim's wallet. The victim was struck over the head with the handgun and is currently recovering. The incident is being investigated by the Chicago Police Department and anyone who has any information is encouraged to contact 9-1-1.
Please also keep the following safety tips in mind.
- Walk or jog with a friend whenever possible
- Stay alert and tuned-in to your surroundings
- Walk or jog in well-lit areas; stay away from alleys
- Do not listen to earphones while out alone, as this minimizes your ability to hear an approaching threat; it also advertises to a would-be thief that you may have a desirable item to steal
- Tell someone where you are going and when you will return
- Use the Campus Escort Service—call 8.RIDE
Chief of Police and Director of Campus Safety