Crime Alert - Strong-Arm Robbery at the Water Tower Campus
April 25, 2017
Campus Safety is writing to notify you about a strong-arm robbery that occurred at the Water Tower Campus at approximately 8:30 p.m. on Monday evening, April 24.
The offender approached a Loyola student in the 800 block of N. Wabash Avenue and stole a cell phone from the student’s hand. Following the incident, the offender fled southbound, on foot, toward Chicago Avenue.
The offender is described as male, approximately 5’4”, with dark curly hair. He was last seen wearing a “puffy” black jacket with no sleeves.
Campus Safety is working closely with the Chicago Police Department on the investigation. If anyone has information on the incident, please call Campus Safety at 773.508.6039 or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263.
Please also keep the following risk-reduction tips in mind:
- Always stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings. Refrain from using headphones or talking on the phone, as this minimizes your ability to hear an approaching threat. It also advertises to a would-be thief that you may have a desirable item to steal.
- Be wary of unsolicited strangers. If someone approaches you on the street, keep moving and try to avoid additional contact. If possible, cross the street or change your direction.
- If a person threatens you, follow any demands and run away as soon as it is safe to do so. Once in a safe place, immediately notify Campus Safety at 773.508.6039 or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263.
- If you see something you believe to be suspicious, immediately contact Campus Safety or the Chicago Police Department.
- Investigative follow-up will be dependent on the amount of detail a person can recall. It is important to remember as many identifying characteristics about the offender(s) as possible. This can include physical characteristics of the person, their clothing, any weapons used, direction of flight, etc.
Campus Safety recognizes that survivors are not at fault for any crime. Students who are seeking resources related to acts of violence can contact the Wellness Center at 773.508.2530 or visit the Coordinated Community Response Team website. Faculty and staff in need of resources are encouraged to utilize the University’s Employee Assistance Program.
Lieutenant, Campus Safety