Press Release: Acknowledging Sexual and Gender Based Violence
October 9, 2019
Dear Loyola Community,
Please note this statement will contain information about sexual assault.
The fact that sexual and gender-based violence occurs on our campus, a place many of us refer to as home, is not only upsetting but infuriating as President of the undergraduate student body. While sexual and gender-based violence is a stark reality in our country and our society, it is our duty as a Jesuit institution, an organization, and as human beings to do everything within our power to change the culture of sexual violence at this University.
I encourage students to learn about the new Office for Equity and Compliance, read the 2018 Clery Act Annual Security Report, and listen to stories of students on our campus who have been victims of sexual violence. More importantly, I urge staff and administration to recognize the flaws in our current systems, educate students on their rights and resources, and clearly communicate and commit to students that sexual violence will not be tolerated at this University.
As a Student Government, we have articulated in our Organizational Goals how we will prioritize safety concerns on our campuses this year. This includes coordinating educational workshops about the Clery Act and Title IX and fostering spaces where we can connect administrators with students to create a dialogue about how we can be better as a University.
Above all, I want to reassure students that reporting sexual assault is a key part of eradicating it from our home. If you or someone you know and love has been a victim, reach out, ask for help, report, and know you are not alone at Loyola University Chicago.
- To speak with a confidential Advocate who has been trained to assist with issues related to gender-based violence, visit the Wellness Center’s Advocacy Services at https://www.luc.edu/coalition/gethelp/idontknowwhattodo/advocacyservices/.
- For other support and resource referrals, contact the Center for Student Assistance and Advocacy through the Office of the Dean at https://www.luc.edu/csaa/.
- To learn more about the new Office for Equity and Compliance, visit https://www.luc.edu/equity/
- To read Loyola University Chicago’s 2018 Clery Act Annual Security Report, visit https://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/campussafety/pdfs/2018-clery.pdf
- To stay up to date with SGLC’s Organizational Goals, initiatives, and events surrounding sexual assault awareness, advocacy, and education, visit https://www.luc.edu/sglc/ or email email@example.com.
In Maroon and Gold,
Kathleen Meis | firstname.lastname@example.org
President of the Student Government of Loyola Chicago (SGLC)