Loyola's School of Communication encourages students to be involved with their surrounding community and issues concerning social justice. Students research and develop story ideas, conduct interviews, take photos, design the website and hard copy editions, while striving to promote issues of social justice in Chicago.
Students in the COMM 315 Advanced Reporting class generate stories and photos every fall for the new edition. The following spring semester the COMM 328 Magazine Design and Production class design the print and online publication. The classes offer practical training for students interested in reporting for newspapers, TV and radio.
Mosaic 2018: The Mental Health Issue
When deciding a topic for this year’s Mosiac me and my peers wanted to write about something that was relevant both to our lives and the world around us. Once we landed on mental health and how it affects people we all had plenty of ideas on how we wanted to approach the issue.
I think in these writings you get a sense of the ways mental health affects all of us, both big and small. As we were deciding, we wanted to ensure that throughout the pieces there were moments of levity and happiness. To show that there is always hope and that there are good things waiting on the other side. I think it was important to all of us to keep that in mind while creating our magazine.
We learned so much. We got to interview a vast group of people, from teachers, to psychiatrists, journalists to television hosts. We approached this from as many angles as we could. We researched statistics and data, learning the changing patterns of mental health in the modern world. Most importantly we listened. We heard the stories of those touched by pain and disease and those working every day to help.
This magazine in all ways has been a team effort. It would not be possible without the help of the students working tirelessly to create it, the professors Michel Limon and Jessica Brown guiding our way, and the subjects willing to share a piece of their lives with us.
- Mosaic 2017 - Focus: The Violence Issue
- Mosaic 2016 - Focus: The Race Issue
- Mosaic 2015 - Focus: The Education Issue
- Mosaic 2014 - Focus: The Gun Issue
- Mosaic 2013 - Focus: Health
- Mosaic 2012 - Focus: The Economy
- Mosaic 2011 - Focus: Immigration
- Mosaic 2010 - Focus: War and Peace
- Mosaic 2009 - Focus: Homelessness
- Mosaic 2008 - Focus: Chicago's Green Evolution Revealed
- Mosaic 2007 - Focus: Immigration
- Mosaic 2006 - Focus: Tolerance
- Mosaic 2005 - Focus: Voices of the Collective Community
- Mosaic 2004 - Focus: The Cultural and Ethnic Life of Chicago