Loyola's School of Communication encourages students to be involved with their surrounding community and issues concerning social justice. Students research and develop story ideas, conduct interviews, take photos, design the website and hard copy editions, while striving to promote issues of social justice in Chicago.
Students in the COMM 315 Advanced Reporting class generate stories and photos every fall for the new edition. The following spring semester the COMM 328 Magazine Design and Production class designs the print and online publication. The classes offer practical training for students interested in reporting for newspapers, TV and radio.
Mosaic 2021: The COVID-19 Issue
Like many other segments of society, higher education was hit hard by COVID-19. Most institutions scrambled halfway through the spring semester of 2020 to adjust to the looming reality that they’d have to shut down their campuses. Faculty and staff took extraordinary measures to finish the academic year virtually, and in a way that allowed students to get the full benefit of course instructions while simultaneously addressing the uncertainty and trauma of a deadly virus experts had yet to fully understand.
That was March.
Fast forward five months and many colleges and universities decided the fall semester would stay online. Then virtual learning continued through the spring of 2021. This transition had varying levels of difficulty across curriculum, and journalism courses proved to be quite challenging. Reporting often requires physical interaction with the community and the pandemic made this a barrier to the process, but the Mosaic staff pushed forward. Coronavirus was a defining part of our lives, so it made sense that students charged with reporting for this edition of Mosaic focused on how COVID-19 affected different facets of society.
From restaurants to theaters, from single moms to therapists, and from online teaching to sports, these student journalists put forth their best efforts to design a magazine around profile, trend and opinion articles on topics that defined more than 12 months in quarantine.
We, the advisors of the Mosaic staff, are proud of the work they produced and hope you enjoy this issue that focuses on the unprecedented time that was Life During COVID-19.
- Mosaic 2020 - The Climate Issue
- Mosaic 2019 - The Gender and Power Issue
- Mosaic 2018 - The Mental Health Issue
- Mosaic 2017 - The Violence Issue
- Mosaic 2016 - The Race Issue
- Mosaic 2015 - The Education Issue
- Mosaic 2014 - The Gun Issue
- Mosaic 2013 - Focus: Health
- Mosaic 2012 - Focus: The Economy
- Mosaic 2011 - Focus: Immigration
- Mosaic 2010 - Focus: War and Peace
- Mosaic 2009 - Focus: Homelessness
- Mosaic 2008 - Focus: Chicago's Green Evolution Revealed
- Mosaic 2007 - Focus: Immigration
- Mosaic 2006 - Focus: Tolerance
- Mosaic 2005 - Focus: Voices of the Collective Community
- Mosaic 2004 - Focus: The Cultural and Ethnic Life of Chicago