Faculty & Staff Profiles
Michael Kelly, PhD, MSW
Title/s: Lucian and Carol Welch Matusak Endowed Professor
External Personal Sites
- PhD University of Illinois-Chicago
- MSW University of Illinois-Chicago
- BA University of Michigan
Courses Currently Teaching/Teaching Areas:
- School Social Work
- Brief Treatment
- PhD Course in Clinical Practice and Evidence-Based Practice
- BSW Course in Positive Youth Development
Current Research Projects:
- Developing Evidence-Informed Online Professional Learning Communities to Measure Practice Effectiveness”, including further development of the Loyola School Mental Health Advanced Practice Program certificate and school social work resources and network (SSWNetwork).
- “Trauma-Informed Care in Schools: A Campbell Systematic Review”
- “Professional Learning Communities: A Campbell Systematic Review Proposal”
- “School-based Family Counseling: A Multi-national Scoping Review”
- School social work, Evidence-based Practice, Solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT), Impact of religion and spirituality on social work practice, Cultural competence (humility change this).
Professional & Community Affiliations
Community and Professional Service:
- Area Editor, Encyclopedia of Social Work 21st Edition
- Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of School Social Work
- Associate Editor, School Mental Health Journal
- Associate Editor, Social Work & Christianity (2008-2019)
- Founder and Director, Loyola School Mental Health Advanced Practice Program (SMHAPP)
- Standards and Practices Board Chair, School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA)
- School-age Policies and Practices Co-chair, Illinois Children’s Mental Health Partnership (ICMHP)
- Member, Mental Health Education Integration Consortium (MHEDIC)
- Consultant, Hanover Township Youth Services (2003-2019)
- Fellow, Oxford Symposium in School-Based Family Counseling
- Ontario SSW Project
- Visiting Professor, Osaka Prefecture University, Osaka, Japan February 2012
- Visiting Professor, Universidad Andres Bello, Chile, November 2010
- Participant in Teaching Evidence-based Medicine (and Mental Health), Oxford Center for Evidence-based Mental Health, September 2009
- Presenter at 2006 Campbell Colloquium Conference, London
- Presenter at 2007 International Consortium on Social Development Conference, Hong Kong
Recent Faculty Scholarship:
- Brake, A., & Kelly, M. S. (2019). Camaraderie, Collaboration, and Capacity Building: A Qualitative Examination of School Social Workers in a Year Long Professional Learning Community. The Qualitative Report, 24(4), 667-692. Retrieved from https://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/vol24/iss4/3
- Maynard, B. R., Farina, A. S. J., Dell, N. A., & Kelly, M. S. (In Press). Effects of trauma-informed approaches in schools: A systematic review. Campbell Systematic Reviews.
- Thompson, A. M., Frey, A. J., & Kelly, M. S. (2019). Factors influencing school social work practice: A latent profile analysis. School Mental Health, 11(1), 129-140.
- Pryce, J., Kelly, M. S., Lawinger, M., & Wildman, A. (2018). Conversation Club: A Promising Practice in Youth Mentoring of Migrants and Refugees. Advances in Social Work, 18(3), 767-787.
- Kelly, M., Freed, H., Kubert, P., & Greibler, S. (2018). Depression education as primary prevention. Advances in social work, 18(4), 1206-1217.
- Pryce, J. M., Kelly, M. S., & Lawinger, M. (2018). Conversation Club: A Group Mentoring Model for Immigrant Youth. Youth & Society, 1, 21.
- Kelly, M.S., Key, W., Brake, A., Cortes, M. & Wardzala, S. (2017). Title registration for a systematic review: Educator professional learning communities (PLCs) for improving academic, social, and behavioral outcomes in K-12 schools. Retrieved from https://www.campbellcollaboration.org/library/educator-professional-learning-communities-in-k-12-schools.html
- Phillippo, K. L., Kelly, M. S., Shayman, E., & Frey, A. (2017). School social worker practice decisions: The impact of professional models, training, and school context. Families in Society, 98(4), 275-283.
- Kelly, M.S., Frey, A., Thompson, A, Klemp, H., Alvarez, M. & Berzin, S.C. (2016). Assessing the National School Social Work Practice Model: Findings from the 2nd National SSW Survey. Social Work.
- Kelly, M.S., Thompson, A., Frey, A., Klemp, H., Alvarez, M. & Berzin, S.C. (2015). The state of school social work: Revisited. School Mental Health. DOI 10.1007/s12310-015-9149-9
- Lucio, R., Campbell, M., & Kelly, M.S. (2020). The use of data in decision making for school-based social work. International Journal of School Social Work, 5 (1), 5-32.
- Maynard, B. R., Farina, A., Dell, N. A., & Kelly, M. S. (2019). Effects of trauma‐informed approaches in schools: A systematic review. Campbell Systematic Reviews, 15(1-2).
- Kelly, M.S. & Whitmore, S. (2019) It’s about time: Initial findings from a feasibility study of a time-study tool for school social workers in Michigan. International Journal of School Social Work: 4 (1), 57-71.
- Kelly, M. S., Singer, J., Shin, A., Iverson, M., Williams, D. (2019). How much social work research is in social work’s Grand Challenges?: A critical review of the evidence for the 12 challenges. Journal of Evidence-Based Social Work, 16(5), 511--523.
- Patak-Pietrafesa, M; Bowen, N.K; Stewart, A. E & Kelly, M.S. (2019) Too hard to find with too little time: What school social workers want in online resources for Evidence-Based Practice, International Journal of School Social Work, 4 (1), 14-37.
- Illinois Child Mental Health Partnership (ICMHP) “Survey of School-Based Mental Health Professionals”.
- Polk Bros. Foundation “Family and Schools Partnership Program: Solution-focused Brief Therapy Interventions,” Co-Principal Investigator with Ruth Fuerst of Loyola's Family and Schools Partnership Program.
- Loyola Hank Center for the Catholic Intellectual Heritage “Does Social Work Education „Prefer the Poor? A Content Analysis of Foundation Course Syllabi Within Catholic MSW Programs,” Co-Principal Investigator with Julia Pryce of Loyola University Chicago School of Social Work.