Loyola University Chicago

School of Social Work

Wisconsin Licensing Information for Students

Steps for Social Work Licensure in Wisconsin Certified Advanced Practice Social Worker (CAPSW)

The state of Wisconsin requires individuals to take two exams in order to be licensed as an Advanced Practice Social Worker.

  • The National Exam is given by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
  • The State Exam is given by the Wisconsin Department of Regulation & Licensing (State Statutes) online.
  • The Department of Regulation & Licensing accepts applications up to SIX MONTHS before graduation.
  • You will still not be officially certified until your school verifies that you have graduated. However, you would be able to tell potential employers that you have passed the two exams.
  • You cannot start accruing your 3,000 hours of supervised practice (for Licensed Clinical Social Worker status) until you are licensed as a CAPSW
  1. You can find the application forms at the Department of Regulation and Licensing website: http://drl.wi.gov/prof/soca/cred.htm.
  2. Click “complete appropriate application form.” On this page, you will find the instructions (#1991) and the application forms needed to apply for the state exam.
  3. You will need to send the state the following:
    • Complete Application (Form #1992) (You will need a notary to sign and seal this form)
    • Appropriate Fee
    • Addendum to Form #1992 (Social Security Number)
    • Convictions and Pending Charges Form #2252 (if applicable)
    • Wisconsin Statutes & Rules exam (if not taken within the last 5 years)
    • Verification of Credential Form #2572 (if credentialed in another state(s) or territory(ies) active or inactive status)
    • Supervised clinical field training form (#2561) found under Advanced Practice Social Worker Application Forms
    • Supervised Clinical Field Placement (#2672) found under Licensed Clinical Social Worker Forms

***Please note that these forms (#2561 and #2672) NEED to be completed by your field site supervisor in order for your field placement to count as a clinical field placement, if you choose to apply for your LCSW.

The following forms are sent to Loyola in Chicago and they forward to the state:

  • Academic verification form #2576 (pre-graduation) ***Please note that the Pre-Academic Verification Form needs to be sent to:

Loyola University Chicago School of Social Work

Attention: Amy Greenberg

Mailing Address: 820 N. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60611

Physical Address: 1 E. Pearson Ave., Office 548, Chicago, IL 60611

Email: agreenberg2@luc.edu

Fax: 312.915.7090

Only this form is sent to Chicago. You fill in the top section with your name and address, and the school will complete the rest of the form and mail it directly to the state.

  • Certificate of professional education form #1978 (send after you graduate)

State Open Book Exam

The passing score for Social Work is 85%. You will receive your exam name, password, and applicant ID which you will use as your student ID to take this test after you submit your application.

  • You cannot access the entire exam using a Mac computer.
  • You must use Internet Explorer as your browser.
  • Go to http://exam.drl.wi.gov.
  • Select: test launching
  • Your instructor is GSP
  • If you are unable to access the exam, try again later. Refresh your internet explorer browser.
  • The answers to the exam questions are in the codebook which is free and online (or you can purchase a hard copy for $25.00 or a CD. You will need this codebook to answer exam questions. It may be helpful to print out the chapters from the “excerpts of the Wisconsin Administrative Code.”
  • The exam is untimed. You may exit and return to the test any time over the next three months. Exit by clicking the “X” at the top right hand corner of any screen.
  • Do not click “done” until you are ready to submit the exam. If you accidentally click done before you are ready to submit your exam, just go back in and start again. Your first score will be deleted.
  • Print out a copy of your score report and retain it for your own records.
  • Additional technical or exam content-related questions can be directed to: gail.pizarro@wisconsin.gov.

ASWB Masters Examination (National Exam)

The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) is the association of boards that regulate social work. ASWB develops and maintains the social work licensing examinations used across the country. Contact ASWB at www.aswb.org to register for the national exam. Applicants have option of taking the national exam prior to graduation. The examination for this level is called the ASWB Masters examination (formerly the Intermediate Examination).

  • This is a computerized test that you will have to take at an ACT testing center. There are 170 questions and you will have 4 hours to complete the test.
  • To register for the exam call the ASWB Candidate Registration Center 1.888.5SW.EXAM (toll free)
    Hours of operation: Monday–Thursday, 8:30 a.m.–6:30 p.m. Eastern time, Friday 8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m., Eastern time.
  • ASWB offers two resources: a hard-copy study guide for $30 and an online practice exam for $75. The study guide can be found at http://www.aswb.org/exam-candidates/exam-preparation/study-guides/ and the practice exam can be found at http://www.aswb.org/exam-candidates/exam-preparation/online-practice-tests/.
  • The actual masters examination is $175, and you will need a score of 70 to pass the exam.

Post Master’s Degree Information

Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

  • Masters degree in Social Work from an accredited program
  • Certification as an Advanced Practice Social Worker (CAPSW)
  • Clinical field placement in graduate school
  • Clinical concentration in graduate school
  • 3.000 hours of supervised practice in no less than 2 years, including at least 1,000 hours of face-to-face contact and including DSM diagnosis and treatment of individuals*
  • Passage of the clinical level national exam

*The supervisor for the 3,000 hours needs to be a LCSW. The supervisor can be through employment or as a consultant established through a contractual agreement.