In June 2018, Professors John Orwat & Jonathan Singer took a select group of MSW students for a study abroad experience to the eternal city of Rome, Italy. Over the course of two weeks, students took advanced social work courses that counted towards their Master of Social Work: 617 Clinical Interventions and 602/610 Advanced Policy. The trip included great sightseeing and excursions around historical sites such as Pompeii, the Vatican Museum, and the Roman Forum.
Summer 2018 Course Offerred
- SOWK 602: Health Policy and Health Systems (Faculty: John Orwat): Frameworks for understanding the interrelationship between developments in health policy, the health care delivery system and social work practice. Important aspects of the health care delivery system and financing system are identified including their effects on health care access and utilization. Special attention is directed to identifying the needs of underserved and high -risk populations as well as persons of color.
- SOWK 617: Interventions in Clinical Social Work (Faculty: Jonathan Singer): This course is an advanced concentration year practice elective. It is specifically designed to assist students to apply theoretical concepts to practice experience. Focus will be on using evidence informed practice as tailored to meet individual client needs. A range of interventions with specific populations will be explored, relying on biopsychosocial principles of social work intervention.
Class Schedule and Sites of Interest during the 2018 Trip
- Saturday June 16th Arrive!
- Sunday June 17th Welcome lunch and field trip
- Monday June 18th to June 29th Coursework and fieldtrips
- Friday June 29th Goodbye lunch and field trip
- Saturday June 30th Depart
APPLICATION INFORMATION FOR THE 2019 TRIP COMING SOON!
Thank you for your interest in our trip to Rome. If you are curious about what 2 weeks in Rome looks like, check out these amazing photos from and Rome 2017 and Rome 2016 trips. We hope you are able to join us in Roma Aeterna, "The Eternal City" next summer! If you have questions, please email us.