Loyola University Chicago

Study Abroad

Study Abroad Policies

Policies outlined on this page apply only to the following Loyola Global Partner, Global Exchange and Petition programs

Study Abroad Policies

All graded courses taken on Loyola study abroad programs will count towards your Loyola degree. Courses for students on Global Partner, Global Exchanges and Petition programs count as general electives unless you seek approval through the Study Abroad Course Approval Process. After completion of this process, courses may count towards your major, minor, Core, Engaged Learning or other curriculum requirements.

The Office of International Programs will accept the credit from any Loyola-approved study abroad program. This means that study abroad credit will show up on your Loyola transcript. It is not considered transfer credit. Also, students are considered "in residence" while abroad.


Credits for all study abroad courses will show up on your Loyola transcript.


  • For programs that issue transcripts with credits using the U.S. semester credit hour system, the credit amount listed on the study abroad transcript will be posted to your Loyola transcript, rounded to the closest whole number of LUC credits (U.S. semester credit hours).
  • For programs that issue transcripts not using the U.S. semester credit hour system, the credit amount listed on your study abroad transcript will be converted using this Foreign Universities Credit Conversion Table and the converted credit amount will be posted to your Loyola transcript.  

To find out about the types of courses offered by a particular study abroad program, please refer to reach program's detailed information page, linked via our list of approved programs pages.


For academic semester or year study abroad programs, students must enroll for the equivalent of a full-time course load (minimum of 12 Loyola credit hours per semester) while abroad. "Course Enrollment Guidelines" are available in the Office of International Programs to help you determine what constitutes a full course load for your chosen program.


For summer programs, there is no minimum or maximum credit load required, unless otherwise specified in the materials provided by your program.


Please note that for many programs, "course schedules" are not part of the culture and not commonly available for student use. You should expect to officially choose and enroll in courses after arriving in your host country.

All Loyola students attending Global Partner, Global Exchange and Petition programs will be enrolled in an Interdisciplinary Studies (INDS 300X) placeholder course during their time abroad carrying the following credit hours:


  • Semester and academic-year programs: 12 credit hours (if you need to be enrolled in 15 credits for financial aid purposes - please contact the Office of International Programs).
  • Summer programs will carry 6 credit hours.

The Office of International Programs will register you for the placeholder course at the end of the semester prior to your term abroad. You will notice that the INDS 300X course will appear in LOCUS for the duration of your program abroad.


Once the Office of International Programs receive the official transcript from your study abroad program, the placeholder course will be removed and the actual courses, grades and credit amounts will be entered by the Registration and Records office into LOCUS.
It is importance that you understand that the credit hours posted for the placeholder course are not necessarily a reflection of the number of credit hours that you will receive for your study abroad program.

Will my study abroad grades show up on my Loyola transcript?

Yes, grades for all study abroad courses will show up on your Loyola transcript and factor into your Loyola GPA.

How will my study abroad grades be converted to Loyola grades?

For programs that issue transcripts with grades using the U.S. grading system (such as the LUC Rome Center, the LUC Vietnam Center, LUC Faculty-Led Programs, Fordham London Centre, St. Louis University Madrid Center, Marquette University Cape Town Center, API, IES, SIT, and USAC), the grade listed on the study abroad transcript will be posted to your Loyola transcript.  No conversion is necessary because the grades are reported to Loyola already using the standard U.S. grading system.


For programs that issue transcripts not using the U.S. grading system (such as exchanges), the grade listed on your study abroad transcript will be converted using this Foreign Universities Grade Conversion Table and the converted grade will be posted to your Loyola transcript.  

May I take a study abroad course for Pass/No Pass instead of for a letter grade?

Taking a study abroad course for Pass/No Pass may be possible, however it's not common.  In order to do so, you must follow the procedures detailed in the LUC Undergraduate Studies Catalog section on "The Grading System" and properly submit a pass/no-pass request (see LOCUS > Online Forms and Help > Pass No-Pass Undergraduate Request) by the deadline set by LUC Registration and Records. If you have questions about, contact PassNoPass@luc.edu

How do I appeal a study abroad grade? 

If you wish to appeal a study abroad grade you may appeal by contacting your host university or provider abroad. All study abroad grade appeals must be made by the student her/himself directly and only to the host university/provider abroad. The program provider's/host university abroad's policies shall govern grade appeals. If your host university/provider changes a grade, you must request that the host university/provider send an updated transcript to the LUC Office of International Programs. Loyola University Chicago has no purview or influence over the grade appeal process.

May I take my study abroad final exams early?

You are responsible for taking final exams and submitting all assessments for your study abroad classes by the due dates determined by your instructors abroad.  Students wishing to request an early final exam date must make the request her/himself direcly to the instructor and host university/provider abroad.  The instructor and host university/provider's policies shall govern due date modification requests.  The LUC Office of International Programs does not encourage nor support student efforts to request special treatment for due dates of study abroad assessments.


Some host universities abroad permit retaking of exams. At some universities, "resitting" for an exam can be typical. Students should research and be aware of the academic structure of the program they have applied for, and prepare accordingly. Exchange students wishing to request an opportunity to retake an exam may do so by contacting the host university abroad. All retake requests must be made by the student her/himself directly to the host university abroad. The host university abroad's policies shall govern retake requests. If the host university abroad agrees to allow an exam retake, the student must arrange for a time, place, and proctor approved by the host university abroad or comply with the host institution's retake schedule and process. Note that universities may require that retakes occur on their own campus, not after the student has left the country.

What grades must I earn abroad for my LUC degree requirements?

Grades earned on study abroad programs will be subject to each individual Loyola school or college's policies regarding minimum grades needed for a course to count toward your major, minor, core or other degree requirement. Contact the academic department in which your major and/or minor resides to inquire about their policies and speak with your academic advisor.

Students may participate in up to the following number of terms abroad:


  • Two academic semesters
  • Unlimited summer/j-term/spring break programs

Students who wish to participate on a third semester abroad program must apply for an appeal and be approved by the Office of International Programs.

Should a student wish to withdraw their program particiption BEFORE departing on their program, they will need to contact OIP with more information regarding their decision. Students who have already been accepted/approved for a study abroad program, must inform the Office of International Programs.

Refunds of the OIP Administrative Fee can be granted on a case-by-case basis*, students should inquire with our office as to next steps.


*Please note: as per a university-wide policy, refunds CANNOT be granted after six months from the payment date. 

Loyola has developed a list of approved abroad programs of high academic quality that provide opportunities for our students to stay on track to graduate while studying abroad in safe and supportive locations.  Loyola limits student participation to these programs and will not accept the credits from non-approved programs abroad.


However, if you can't find a Loyola-approved program that meets your specific academic needs, you may petition for special permission to attend a program not on Loyola's approved list. To petition for permission to attend a non-approved program, you must first meet with the head of study abroad in the Office of International Programs.  Contact the Office of International Programs to make an appointment for that meeting.  You'll need this in-person meeting to receive information about the petition process.  


Deadlines for submitting a petition can be found on the study abroad program deadlines page.  Note that once you submit your complete petition, it typically takes approximately 10 business days to review.


Attention: Your credit earned abroad will not be posted to LOCUS nor will it count toward your Loyola degree unless your abroad program has been approved by the Office of International Programs. It is not possible to transfer credit in through Loyola academic units or the Office for Registration and Records for study abroad programs.

After your program has ended, your study abroad program institution will mail the Office of International Programs an official transcript. It is ultimately the student's responsibility to follow-up with their study abroad program to ensure that the transcripts will be sent to Loyola.


In some cases, transcripts from abroad can take several weeks or even months to arrive at our office. If a delay in the arrival of your transcripts and the subsequent uncertainty you may have regarding final course, credit and grade information causes you difficulty in making informed decisions about enrollment for future semesters at Loyola, please contact us and we will ascertain whether the process can be expedited.


When the Office of International Programs receives your transcript, we will perform credit and grade conversions as necessary and submit the information to the Office of Registration and Records for posting to your Loyola transcript. Titles of your study abroad courses, credit hours and grades will appear on your official Loyola transcript and will factor in your cumulative GPA. 

You may not enroll in courses abroad that are similar to course that you have previously taken at Loyola and for which you have earned credit. If in doubt, consult an academic advisor. Courses abroad that you have taken at Loyola and for which you already have credit will be considered "unauthorized repeats: and will not not earn additional credit.