Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs
Leading a faculty-led program is a unique opportunity to provide a high-impact, international learning experience for a group of 10-25 students. Explore the resources below for more information about what a faculty-led program proposal entails.
Faculty-led study abroad programs are LUC courses that are developed and taught by LUC faculty and have a field trip that takes place outside of the United States. The field trips are typically about 1 to 2 weeks in duration and the entire class, faculty leaders and students, travel together. Students earn direct LUC course credit.
For faculty-led programs, the Office for International Programs offers the following services: student application processing, student payment collection, education abroad insurance purchasing, group flight booking, payment processing, and contact information for educational travel agencies.
The faculty leader handles all logistics, independently or with the assistance of an educational travel provider such as CEPA (Customized Educational Programs Abroad) or IES Abroad (Institute for the International Education of Students).
Faculty-led study abroad programs travel over the LUC January Term, Spring Break, or during summer.
You must submit your proposal to your chair and dean with ample time allowed for their internal review. It is recommended you give your chair at least 2 weeks to review and your dean an additional two weeks to review.
Deadlines for final submission to the Office for International Programs
For programs planning to travel during:
...the proposal deadline for final submission to the Office for International Programs, with signatures from your chair and dean, is:
|January Term 2020||05/1/2019|
|Spring Break 2020||05/1/2019|
|any summer 2020 term||05/1/2019|
|January Term 2021||05/1/2020|
|Spring Break 2021||05/1/2020|
|any summer 2021 term||05/1/2020|
Proposals submitted after the deadlines will not be accepted.
Please note that this is a competitive proposal process. A limited number of programs will be approved each academic year.
If you would like to submit a proposal, please click here to request access to the submission portal for faculty-led program proposals.
Each application will be reviewed by the Overseas Program Approval Committee, comprised of staff from OIP and the Provost's office, according to criteria in the instructions and proposal form.
- Review the Faculty-Led Program Handbook.
- Using the Program Proposal Instructions and Criteria document, create a draft of your program proposal and discuss it with your department chair and the Dean of your college/school. This is necessary because they will need to sign off on the program in the Program Leader Agreement form (see step 3, below).
- With the (a) Chair of your Department Chair, and (b) Dean of your School/College, complete and sign the Program Leader Agreement form. This will be uploaded in the Program Proposal Form (see step 5, below).
- Request a Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program Proposal submission portal. NOTE: the portal is currently being updated and is unavailable until early Spring 2019.
- Please be prepared to upload the following documents:
- Draft Syllabus
- Sample Itinerary
- Program Leader CV
- Secondary Faculty Leader CV (if applicable)
- Program Assistant CV (if applicable)
- Program Leader Agreement, signed by Department Chair and Dean
- Proposal Resources for Program Leaders
For more information, contact Brian Johnson, PhD, Associate Director for Study Abroad.