Havana, Cuba (COMM 373)
Faculty Led Summer Program in Havana, Cuba
- Learn how to tell a compelling story using a mix of media that may include text, still images, audio, and video. This course introduces the concept of media production in an international setting
- Experience developing digital media project in collaboration with Cuban experts, scholars and students, through a combination of field work, research, and discussion.
- Transform your worldview by learning firsthand about the people, society, culture, and current environment in Cuba. Learn through real world experiences and on the ground interaction.
This program immerses students in Havana, Cuba. Throughout this trip, students will study the culture of Cuba and be required to produce an audio, video, photographic, or web project telling a story about Cuba and its people. The final body of work will be completed and presented upon return to Chicago. The students’ field work and project development will be supplemented by lectures from local experts into Havana’s rich and colorful history, discussions, museum visits, and collaboration with local communication students. The course focuses on learning through real world experiences.
Students will be required to present their project idea to Professor Greer prior to departure. Beginning in January 2018, participants will meet monthly to discuss their plans and further develop their action plan so they will be prepared prior to their arrival in Havana. Previous experience with photo, video, or audio production recommended.
View student work from last year's session on Vimeo.
Aaron Greer, M.F.A.
School of Communication
Click here to see last year's syllabus.
COMM 373: Digital Storytelling
Fulfills Engaged Learning Credit
Credit Hours Earned:
Three credit hours
Students will stay in shared suites at a hotel in Cuba’s capitol city, Havana.
Students will be provided with lunch and dinner meal tickets that can be used in most restaurants around the city.
March 2-11, 2018
Program Fee of $2,210
- Shared occupancy in hotel
- Two meals per day
- All in-country travel expenses
- Entrance fees to museums
- On-site program support
- Loyola international health insurance through CISI
Tuition Fee: Included in spring semester tuition
Total Program Cost: $2,210
Program Fee Does Not Include:
- Round-trip airfare (Chicago-Havana) approximately $1,100
- Personal spending money
- Optional baggage insurance/add. baggage fees
Space is limited—apply today!
As part of the online application you must upload a copy of your valid passport or passport application receipt and pay by credit card a $100 non-refundable Office for International Programs (OIP) study abroad fee.
The application deadline is March 15th, 2018.