Loyola University Chicago

Study Abroad

International Students and Study Abroad

Yes, degree-seeking international students at Loyola are eligible to study abroad! If you are an international student, your home university is Loyola, so study abroad means taking courses at any university abroad, even in the country you're from. If you are an international student hoping to study abroad (take courses anywhere outside the U.S.) there are some additional steps and information that you need to take note of in order to comply with your immigration and academic status. The Office of International Programs (OIP) is here to help you in your plans and you will need to communicate with us early in order to square away all of your plans to study abroad.

To begin, you will want to make sure that you follow the steps below as you begin to make your plans to study abroad.

Step 1: Meet with Campus Offices

  1. Meet with a study abroad advisor to discuss the available programs, finances and the application process.  Your study abroad advisor will help you start thinking about which one of Loyola's programs you'll select.
  2. Meet with your academic advisor to determine how the courses abroad will apply to your degree here at Loyola and to outline your academic plan to accommodate study abroad.
  3. Meet with your international student advisor to discuss your immigration status and the steps you need to take to stay in compliance with those policies.

Step 2: Get your courses abroad approved by the academic department(s) at Loyola

In order for the courses you take abroad to count towards your academic requirements here at Loyola you will need to get each course approved by the respective academic department. You do this by completing the course approval process.

Step 3: Complete the Loyola study abroad application

OIP requires that all students looking to study abroad/take courses abroad complete an application through our office in addition to any required applications of the student's chosen program.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yes! Your "home" university is LUC because you are working on a degree that will be granted by LUC.  If you are taking courses at any university abroad in any other country, even the country you're from, that is considered study abroad!


According to university policy:  Students who wish to study abroad or take courses at any institution outside the U.S., must apply through the Office of International Programs (OIP) and receive OIP prior permission before enrolling in courses or departing from the U.S.


Your visa status, whether F-1 or J-1, may be affected by your studying abroad and you will want to contact your international student advisor early to walk through the process, make sure that you have all the documentation that you need before you depart and to asses what you need to do to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status during and upon your return.

When studying abroad on a Loyola approved program, the courses you take can apply to:


  • core
  • major
  • minor
  • engaged learning
  • general elective credit

You will need to get prior approval from the various academic departments here at Loyola to determine what each course you take abroad will count for. Please see the course approval webpage for more information about that process.


It is vital that you meet with your academic advisor to plan out the courses you want to take to ensure that you stay on track academically here at Loyola.

Please check the deadlines page of the study abroad website to learn more about specific dates of when applications will be due. If you have any questions, please contact OIP for more information.


*Note: if you are applying for any program other than the Global Centers (JFRC/Vietnam) or a faculty-led program, you may need to complete a second program application which may have their own deadline. In that instance, you will need to meet both application deadlines.