Loyola University Chicago

Study Abroad

Post-Study Abroad Academics

Post-Study Academic Lead Photo

Students returning from a study aborad experience may have some questions about how their academic work abroad will translate back to their degree program at Loyola. Below are some policies and pieces of information that students can refer to for more information.

After your program has ended, your study abroad program institution will mail the Office of International Programs an official transcript. It is ultimately the student's responsibility to follow-up with their study abroad program to ensure that the transcripts will be sent to Loyola.


In some cases, transcripts from abroad can take several weeks or even months to arrive at our office. If a delay in the arrival of your transcripts and the subsequent uncertainty you may have regarding final course, credit and grade information causes you difficulty in making informed decisions about enrollment for future semesters at Loyola, please contact us and we will ascertain whether the process can be expedited.


When the Office of International Programs receives your transcript, we will perform credit and grade conversions as necessary and submit the information to the Office of Registration and Records for posting to your Loyola transcript. Titles of your study abroad courses, credit hours and grades will appear on your official Loyola transcript and will factor in your cumulative GPA. 

The Office of International Programs will accept the credit from any Loyola-approved study abroad program. This means that study abroad credit will show up on your Loyola transcript. It is not considered transfer credit. Also, students are considered "in residence" while abroad.


Credits for all study abroad courses will show up on your Loyola transcript.


  • For programs that issue transcripts with credits using the U.S. semester credit hour system, the credit amount listed on the study abroad transcript will be posted to your Loyola transcript, rounded to the closest whole number of LUC credits (U.S. semester credit hours).
  • For programs that issue transcripts not using the U.S. semester credit hour system, the credit amount listed on your study abroad transcript will be converted which will be posted to your Loyola transcript.

Students who completed programs other than Rome, Vietnam, and short term faculty led programs ONLY

After you complete your program, you will receive an email with the study abroad post-program evaluation. This evaluation MUST be completed before your grades can be sent to Registration and Records to be posted to LOCUS. The evaluation is normally sent out in June for spring and full year programs, August for summer programs and December for fall programs. The Office of International Programs will send you email reminders until you complete the form. The evaluation is extremely important as it provides essential feedback in order to monitor the programs in Loyola’s current portfolio. 


You, the student, must request that your study abroad host campus send a transcript directly to the Loyola Office of International Programs.  Request that your host campus ship your trancript directly to the OIP shipping address listed here.  Don't have the transcript sent to you, the LUC Registrar, nor any other address.  Transcripts can take anywhere between one to three months to arrive in OIP after your program ends. It is ultimately your responsibility to follow-up with your study abroad program to ensure that the transcripts will be sent to OIP.


After your grades are posted, your transcript will reflect both your credits and grades earned while abroad. However, these courses will continue to be listed as “INDS 300X” with the foreign course title listed in the “course topic” field of your transcript and academic record. Students who completed course approvals before studying abroad should meet with their academic advisor to have the courses matched correctly to their academic requirements report and graduation audit. Both student and the advisor will receive an email after the grades have been posted.

Global Center and Faculty-Led Programs

Students participating in these programs will see their grades/courses in LOCUS like any other Loyola class.


Exchanges and Partner Programs

The Office of International Programs will register study abroad students for a Loyola Interdisciplinary Studies (INDS 300X) placeholder course while they are abroad. You will notice that this course appears in your LOCUS enrollment screen for the duration of your program abroad. You will see a 12-credit course each semester you are abroad on a semester or year program and a 6-credit course if you are on a summer program, though these credit amounts are not necessarily a reflection of the actual amount of credit you will receive for your program. Once the Office of International Programs receives the official transcript for your study abroad program, the placeholder course will be removed and the actual courses, grades and credit amounts will be entered into LOCUS by the Office for Registration and Records.


Note: If you need to be enrolled in a placeholder course for more than 12 credits for financial aid purposes (typically the Illinois MAP grant), please contact studyabroad@luc.edu.


Grade and credit conversions can vary by program. Students participating in provider programs can find the grade and credit conversions on the program's web site or by contacting the provider. If you need help locating this information, please contact the Office of International Programs.


The grades that you earn while abroad on an Exchange program will be converted to Loyola grades using this Exchange Grade Conversion.  


The credits that you earn while abroad on an exchange program will be converted to Loyola credits using this Exchange Credit Conversion .

All study abroad courses will show up on your Loyola transcript and factor into your Loyola GPA.


How do I appeal a study abroad grade? 


If you wish to appeal a study abroad grade you may appeal by contacting your host university or provider abroad. All study abroad grade appeals must be made by the student her/himself directly and only to the host university/provider abroad. The program provider's/host university abroad's policies shall govern grade appeals. If your host university/provider changes a grade, you must request that the host university/provider send an updated transcript to the LUC Office of International Programs. Loyola University Chicago has no purview or influence over the grade appeal process.