Faculty Led Summer Program in Santiago, Chile
- Learn how to tell a compelling story using a mix of media that may include text, still images, audio, and video. This course introduces the concept of media production in an international setting
- Experience developing digital media project in collaboration with Chilean experts, scholars and students, through a combination of field work, research, and discussion.
- Transform your worldview by learning firsthand about the people, society, culture, and current environment in Chile. Learn through real world experiences and on the ground interaction.
This program immerses students in South America’s 6th largest city, Santiago, with a population of nearly six-million. This Spanish-speaking country located on the west coast of South America is a modern and friendly city that has much to offer. Throughout this trip, students will study the culture of Chile and be required to produce an audio, video, photographic, or web project telling a story about Chile and its people. The final body of work will be completed and presented upon return to Chicago. The students’ field work and project development will be supplemented by lectures from local experts into Santiago’s rich and colorful history, discussions, museum visits, and collaboration with local communication students. The course focuses on learning through real world experiences.
Students will be required to present their project idea to Professor Greer prior to departure. Beginning in January 2017, participants will meet monthly to discuss their plans and further develop their action plan so they will be prepared prior to their arrival in Santiago. Previous experience with photo, video, or audio production recommended.
View student work from last year's session on Vimeo.
To view the program flyer, click here.
Aaron Greer, M.F.A.
School of Communication
Click here to see the full syllabus.
COMM 373: Digital Storytelling
Fulfills Engaged Learning Credit
Credit Hours Earned:
Three credit hours
Students will stay in shared suites at a hotel in Chile’s capitol city, Santiago.
Students will be provided with lunch and dinner meal tickets that can be used in most restaurants around the city.
May 14 - May 29, 2017
Program Fee of $1,950*
- Shared occupancy in hotel
- Two meals per day
- All in-country travel expenses
- Entrance fees to museums
- On-site program support
- Loyola international health insurance through CISI
Tuition Fee of $2,253
- Three credit hours of Loyola Summer term (graduate students will pay graduate tuition rate)
Total Program Cost: TBA
Program Fee Does Not Include:
- Round-trip airfare (Chicago-Santiago) approximately $1,400
- Personal spending money
- Optional baggage insurance/add. baggage fees
*Fee is from 2016. 2017 is TBD.
Space is limited—apply today!
As part of the online application you must upload a copy of your valid passport or passport application receipt and pay by credit card a $100 non-refundable Office for International Programs (OIP) study abroad fee.
The application deadline is Wednesday, March 15th, 2017.