Tham C. Hoang, PhD
Title/s: Associate Professor
Specialty Area: Biological Impact of Environmental Toxins
Office #: BVM Hall 314
CV Link: Tham C. Hoang, PhD, Curriculum Vitae
Hoang's research determines the effects of natural and anthropogenic contaminants in the environment and has a strong focus on the influence of chemical and physical characteristics of water, sediments and soils on metal bioavailability and toxicity to aquatic organisms. In the natural environment, toxicant concentrations usually fluctuate and are dependent on sources. Therefore, the usual method of using constant exposures in a laboratory setting is not always relevant. In addition, research conducted in a laboratory-setting usually examines the effects of a single contaminant on individual organism. However, the effects of contaminants in the natural environment are often up to community levels. Hoang's research uses traditional constant and fluctuating exposure methods to determine the effects of contaminants (single and mixtures) at both individual and community levels using field relevant study design, such as outdoor microcosms.
- Ph.D. (Environmental Toxicology) & Minor (Experimental Statistics), Clemson University, 2006.
- MS (Environmental Toxicology), Clemson University, 2002.
- BS (Physics), Hanoi National University, 1998.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Scientific Society and Association Committee Services:
- Member of the Loyola Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (2013 to present)
- Member of the Loyola Laboratory Safety Committee (2013 to present)
- Member of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) (2000 to present)
- Member of the Midwest Regional Chapter of the SETAC (2012 to present)
- Member of the Board of Director, Midwest SETAC (2014 to present)
- Member of the Editorial Board Committee, Journal of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (2013-2015)
- The 3rd International Conference on Environmental Pollution, Restoration, and Management, Quy Nhon, Vietnam, March 6-10, 2017 (Chair)
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Asia Pacific Conference, Singapore, September 16-19, 2016 (Scientific committee member)
- The 22nd Annual Meeting of the Midwest SETAC”, Loyola University Chicago, March 24-25, 2014 (co-Chair)
- The 2nd International Conference on Environmental Pollution, Restoration, and Management, Hanoi, Vietnam, March 4-8, 2013 (Chair)
- The 1st International Conference on Environmental Pollution, Restoration, and Management (SETAC Asia Pacific Joint Conference), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, March 1-5, 2010 (Chair)
- UCSF 137: The Scientific Basis of Environmental Issues
- ENVS 238: Foundations of Environmental Science Lab
- ENVS 387: Principles of Toxicology
- Midwest SETAC Best Research Presentation Award, 2016
- SETAC Best Research Presentation Award, 2013
Thanh-Khiet L. Bui, Do-Hong L. Chi, Thanh-Son Dao, Tham C. Hoang. 2016. Copper toxicity and the influence of water quality of Dongnai River and Mekong River waters on copper bioavailability and toxicity to three tropical species. Chemosphere, Vol. 144, pp. 872-878.
Dao Thanh Son, Le Vu Nam, Nguyen Thanh Son, Bui Ba Trung, Do-Hong Lan-Chi, Tham C. Hoang. 2015. Acute and chronic effects of nickel to tropical micro-crustacean, Daphnia lumholtzi. Journal of Science and Technology, 53: 271-276
S Lyly, CB Iwai, Tham C. Hoang. 2015. Ecotoxicology of copper on local freshwater organisms in Mekong River Cambodia. International Journal of Environmental and Rural Development 6 (1), 22-27.
For a complete list of publications, awards, grants and affiliations, please see his CV.