All students in the School of Environmental Sustainability (SES) are assigned at least two advisors:
- First-year students and sophomores are assigned a primary Academic Advisor in the office of First and Second Year Advising at the Lake Shore Campus. Juniors and seniors in SES are assigned a primary Academic Advisor in the Institute of Environmental Sustainability Office at Lake Shore Campus.
- All SES students with declared majors are also assigned a Faculty Advisor in their major department or program.
Please note that “undecided” students are only assigned a primary academic advisor until they declare a major. Once they declare a major, they are also assigned a faculty advisor for that major.
Additionally, students interested in pre-health or pre-law advising may meet with an advisor in the Office of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising.
Academic Advisors in First and Second Year Advising (FSYA) advise all first-year students and sophomores. Academic Advisors in the School of Environmental Sustainability Office advise SES juniors and seniors. These advisors counsel students on a variety of issues, including:
- Core and Institute requirements
- Transfer credit
- Placement into math, English composition, or language courses
- Concerns about academic performance
- Academic probation and dismissal
- Taking a course overload (more than 18 credit hours) or dropping to part-time status (fewer than 12 credit hours)
- Taking courses on a pass/no-pass or audit basis
- Repeating courses
- Late registration
- Incomplete grades
- Dropping a class
- Progress toward graduation
Students may log into LOCUS at any time to view their academic advisor assignment. If no advisor assignment is listed in LOCUS, first-year students and sophomores should contact First and Second Year Advising at 773.508.7714 for more information; SES juniors/seniors should contact the SES Office at 773.508.2141.
For additional information about Academic Advising and Support Services visit Academic Advising & Support Services.
Scheduling an Academic Advising Appointment
- Juniors/seniors: To schedule an appointment, call the SES Office at 773.508.2141 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All first-year students and sophomores: To schedule an appointment, call First and Second Year Advising at 773.508.7714 or stop by Sullivan Center 260.
Faculty Advisors are experts in the major field of study and should be consulted regularly about career options, research opportunities, internships, and graduate or professional school. Students may log into LOCUS at any time to view their Faculty Advisor assignment. If you have not yet been assigned a Faculty Advisor, please contact SES.