February & March
RecycleMania is a national competition among colleges and universities to measure and compare waste reduction over an eight-week period. Loyola has competed in RecycleMania since 2009. During the contest, we encourage everyone—students, staff and faculty—to pitch in!
The ultimate goal of RecycleMania at Loyola is to reduce our consumption and divert waste from the landfill. Do your part to think about the waste we generate and what we can do to reduce it.
Our goal? To continue increasing our recycling rate each year! We aim to build on this momentum and continue increasing our recycling rate each year. Here’s how you can help us achieve this goal:
- Rethink It! Avoid the "one-time" use of items and excess packaging.
- Divert from the landfill through reuse (i.e. use reusable cups, mugs, bottles, napkins, etc.)
- Take your recyclables and place in the appropriate bin.
The duration of RecycleMania is a great opportunity to begin incorporating a new positive behavior in order to reduce waste and remind all Ramblers to do their part to put Loyola at the top of the competition rankings!
Thank you to everyone who participated in last year's RecycleMania Tournament.
- Each year we score in the top 20% for overall Waste Minimization.
- In 2016, Loyola was the overall winner with a 96% Diversion Rate at our Zero Waste Game against Wichita State.
- Our Diversion Rate has increased every year we’ve participated with over half of all waste going to composting and recycling each year.