The Searle Biodiesel Program continues to be a student-designed, student-driven program. All aspects of the program from biodiesel fuel production and equipment design, to project management and brainstorming are run in part by Loyola students. This opportunity is open to students of every level and from every discipline.
Interns work in a team capacity with other fellows to run the day-to day operations of the lab (biodiesel production, oil collection, waste processing), and additionally take a leadership role on a project in the Searle Biodiesel Lab (new product development, education initiative, marketing, energy efficiency). We will work in a number of different topic areas: chemistry, business, marketing, and grant writing. This is a paid internship.
Internship candidates will meet one-on-one with the Biodiesel Lab Manager to discuss potential projects that will help our program grow, become more efficient, and contribute to the student's professional interests.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Biodiesel Production
- Soap Production
- Chemical Analysis of Biodiesel and Soap
- Lab Maintenance
- Product Development
- Opportunity to develop your own projects related to clean energy
- Motivated individual willing to learn a wide variety of new procedures, equipment operation, and business protocols.
- Ability to work efficiently in both individual and team settings.
- Attention to detail and safety as we will be working with chemicals, heavy equipment, and experiments.
- Able to lift 30lbs.
- Candidate must be able to work for the duration of the internship.
- Full-time enrollment at any Loyola University Chicago campus during the internship period.