Loyola University Chicago

Department of Theology

Grievance Procedures

If a student protests a grade and cannot settle the dispute with their professor, the student should contact the chairperson of the Theology Department. 


1. The professor who has assigned a grade has authority to change it, according to the rules established for the College of Arts and Sciences. Departmental reviewers make recommendations regarding changes of grade to the professor.

2. A student may appeal for the change of grade believed to have been assigned in an arbitrary, capricious, or discriminatory way. A student may challenge a grade which is assigned for academic dishonesty.

3. The appeal must be initiated in writing to the chairperson of the department within twenty class days of the publishing of the grade. No action will be taken on any appeal until a student has attempted to resolve the problem by direct discussion with the professor involved.

4. The appeal for the change of grade shall be based upon evidence that the professor has assigned the grade in an arbitrary, capricious, or discriminatory way. In particular, the professor may not depart from the ground rules established at the outset of the course. When a professor assigns a grade for academic dishonesty, he/she must be prepared to supply the evidence to substantiate the charge.

5. In an appeal of a change of grade, the burden of proof rests with the student. The evidence must be presented in writing and the student must furnish copies of written materials (papers, examinations, books, and articles consulted) that are relevant to the case. The written statement will be submitted to the departmental chair, who will give it to the professor for his comment or written response.

6. In a dispute of a failing grade for academic dishonesty, the student will initiate the appeal in writing. The professor will then provide a written statement of the basis for his judgement. The student will respond to this statement in writing and will furnish copies of all material which either he/she or the professor designates as relevant.

7. The written statements of the student and professor will be reviewed by the chairperson of the departmental Grade Grievance Core Curriculum Committee or the Director of Majors in the case of an elective course, who will then attempt to solve the matter by arbitration.

8. Failing a solution, a hearing board of three to five disinterested professors will be established by the departmental chairperson. The departmental chair shall also appoint a chairperson of the hearing board. The chairperson of the hearing board will contact the involved parties and will conduct the hearing according to the procedures established by the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

9. Written notice of every appeal for change of grade and every dispute of a charge of academic dishonesty, along with a record of the disposition of each case, will be sent to the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences as well as to the dean of the student's own college, should this be different.

University Statement on Academic Integrity