Frequently Asked Questions
Due to our limited on-campus student experience this year, the CTA has granted Loyola University Chicago the ability to offer an opt-out option for students who wish to waive their U-Pass fee. This option will be evaluated each term by the CTA and updated below as soon as information becomes available. Any student may opt-out of the U-Pass fee during the time frame listed below for their respective program's semester/quarter. For any questions on the opt-out process, please visit our page.
The waiver site for Summer Term 2022 is now open and will close on Monday, June 13. To opt out, please visit our waiver site.
Military or Paratransit Pass
If you have a military service or paratransit pass through the CTA, you may be eligible to have your U-Pass fee waived. If you have either pass, email email@example.com to find out about a waiver.
Unfortunately no. We encourage you to visit the Dean of your school/academic program for guidance. Since the U-Pass is not an optional program, ALL students in a qualifying academic program/school must pay for the pass. Individual schools/programs can choose, based on the need of their students, to participate in the program if they feel it would benefit the vast majority of their students.
You must be part of an eligible group or school to receive the U-Pass. All part-time students (under 12 credit hours as an undergraduate or under 8 as a graduate student) do not qualify for the U-Pass and will not be charged.
If a student drops to part-time status within or after the 10 day add/drop date (10 days from the start of the semester), their U-Pass will be turned off and the student will be credited the U-Pass fee.
If a student adds credit hours making them full-time within the add/drop date (10 days), they will be charged for the U-Pass and one will be made for them after the U-Pass team runs a report on that 10th day. Your eligibility for U-Pass is based on when you are full-time or part-time; If you enroll by the drop / add date for a “W”, then you get the pass. If you add or drop courses after this date, then no U-pass will be issued.
The U-Pass fees are as follows:
Spring Term 2022
- $155/semester for undergraduate and graduate students
- $176/semester for Law School students
- $112/quarter for Quinlan Graduate Business students
- $149/semester for Arrupe College students
This fee is included in student tuition fees valid from the beginning of the semester until the last day of final exams each semester. This fee is non-refundable.
The fee covers the charge by CTA for the pass and a small administrative fee.
Arrupe College students will not see a separate U-Pass fee. The cost of their U-Pass is included as part of their Student Development/ Student Activities fee.
No, CTA requires us to assess all students in programs that accept the program and are eligible. The eligibility is decided by the school or program. We encourage students to pick up the U-Pass.
The CTA requires the university to assess all eligible students in order for us to participate in this program. For a waiver due to disability, the disability must be documented and the CTA must be unable to accommodate the disability for a waiver to be granted. Please contact the U-Pass office directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
U-Pass allows for unlimited use on all CTA trains and bus lines. A student cannot reuse their pass for 10-15 minutes on the same bus or train.
The U-Pass portion is only eligible on CTA buses and trains. Students may add their own funds to use the card as a normal transit card on PACE. The Ventra U-Pass does not work on Metra.
At times, students do lose or have their U-Pass stolen during their Loyola University Chicago experience. While this experience can be troubling and frustrating, we are here to help.
We recommend that any student who has their U-Pass lost or stolen immediately file a police report if the pass was stolen. We also recommend that the student contact the CTA (1-877-669-8368. When calling, dial 1 for English or 2 for Spanish, and then 0 for customer service) and request that the pass be turned off, so that fraudulent charges are not incurred. Then, we recommend that the student go through the replacement process as soon as possible, so that they can continue to utilize the CTA.
Replacement U-Passes can be ordered online at http://www.luc.edu/upass/replace. Please note the following information about replacement cards:
- U-Pass replacement passes are required to continue to utilize the U-Pass.
- Students should handle their card carefully. There is a replacement fee if the card stops working as a result of abuse.
- U-Pass replacement passes are $50. Your card will be ordered the day after you place your order and refunds are only available before your card has been ordered. The $50 replacement fee is required for all lost/stolen cards (regardless of police report) Please note that this is a CTA fee, not a Loyola fee, and cannot be waived. $50 is what CTA charges Loyola for replacement cards.
- Once a new U-Pass is ordered, the previous card is deactivated and cannot be used
- Please note that our contract with the CTA currently does not allow us to give out 7-day passes for use while a student awaits their replacement pass, even in cases of stolen passes. Unfortunately the 7-day passes provided to us by the CTA are ONLY for new students awaiting a first-time U-Pass.
Replacement U-Passes may be picked up at the Damen Student Center information desk or the Terry Student Center information desk. If you wish to have your U-Pass transferred to the Terry Student Center information desk, please be sure to select "Water Tower" for your location when ordering the replacement. Transfers will take an additional 1-2 business days to be available.
Passes take between 5-7 business days to arrive to the campus that your program is based at. Once passes arrive, an email will be sent notifying any student that their U-Pass replacement pass has arrived.
Students MUST activate any new replacement card before use:
- Activate by calling 1-877-450-5328. Students MUST call to activate the card or it will not work properly. Students will need their U-Pass and your student ID to complete this procedure. The card activates approximately 15 -20 minutes after calling. Your U-Pass will not work until activated.
- If you need assistance with activation or your U-Pass does not work after the activation process, please call Ventra Customer Service at 1-877-669-8368. Press "1" for English or "2" for Spanish. Press "0" to speak to a Ventra Chicago representative.
It is recommended that you take your Ventra U-Pass out of your wallet or holder when touching the Ventra reader.
If you leave it in your wallet/purse and you have a debit or credit card with a Wi-Fi symbol , then the Ventra reader may charge your debit/credit card for a fare instead of reading your U-Pass.
If you receive incorrect charges when you have an active U-Pass, please contact your bank or credit card company for their procedures on reversing incorrect CTA fares.
- Check at a Ventra machine, on the Ventra website or app, or at https://www.ventrachicago.com/balance/ for a negative balance. If there is a negative balance, add money to bring the card to a $0.00 balance and the card should work.
- If the card will not read at all at the Ventra machine there are two options:
a ) For a no cost replacement (damaged card): Go to Ventra Customer Service at 165 N. Jefferson Ave, Mon -Fri 8:00am-4:30pm. If Ventra determines the card is not reading, they will issue a 7-day transit pass and a Ventra Defective Card Replacement Form. Bring the form to the Damen Student Center Information Desk so they can order a replacement U-Pass free of charge.
b) To pay for a replacement: Check here for detailed information on ordering a replacement U-Pass: https://www.luc.edu/upass/u-passtroubleshooting/loststolencard
As per Loyola University Chicago U-Pass policy, a U-Pass must be used by the person named and pictured on the pass; it cannot be transferred or sold at any time.
Violations of CTA policies (especially this one) are considered a form of fraud. CTA and its representatives reserve the right to verify any assumed fraudulent activity. CTA will confiscate any improperly used cards and suspend that student from the U-Pass program for up to one year. Additionally, CTA does have the ability to press criminal charges.
CTA will contact students directly on any confiscations and their procedures. For more information regarding confiscations when/if they occur, please follow the instructions listed in the official confiscation letter issued by CTA.
Keep your U-Pass for the entirety of your college career! The U-Pass portion of the card will be automatically reactivated at the beginning of any semester you are eligible and deactivated at the end of the semester: you can check dates here - https://www.luc.edu/upass/activation/dates/
The card can always be used as a regular full-fare Ventra card during any semester you are not eligible for a U-Pass.
When your card is close to expiration per the date on the back, Ventra will automatically send the U-Pass department a replacement and we'll email you when it's ready to be picked up.
Don't worry! The U-Pass card will expire at the END of the month specified: so if the expiration date is 2/2020, it will expire 2/29/2020, for example. Closer to when the pass expires, Ventra will automatically send our department a replacement for you at no cost to you. You will receive an email when it arrives and is ready to be picked up.
Please note: If you have opted out, a replacement card will not be ordered for you until the next term you are eligible and active. In the meantime, you can purchase a temporary card at any CTA kiosk.
Because the U-Pass is a pass loaded on to your account and not actual funds added, you won't see a positive balance on your U-Pass unless you add your own funds. You will instead see a pass added.