Loyola University Chicago Student Information
Should the Vietnam program reach capacity prior to the published application deadline, the online application may close before that deadline. Students are advised to apply as early as possible. The application availability and deadlines are as follows:
Opening Date for On-Line Applications
December 15, 2019
March 15, 2020
April 15, 2020
October 15, 2020
The following requirements must be met before an application will be considered eligible for review. All applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old by program start date
- Have earned at least 12 semester hours of credit at LUC (new transfer students, please contact Vietnam@LUC.edu to discuss this requirement)
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale*
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing**
- Be in possession of a valid passport, or a receipt verifying application for a passport*** (copy or scan uploaded at time of application)
*Applicants with a GPA that falls below the minimum requirement must submit, along with their application, a personal statement explaining: 1) why their GPA is below the minimum requirement; 2) their reasons for wanting to study abroad; and 3) how they feel they will benefit academically and personally from the Vietnam Center program. Preference is given to those students who show an upward trend in their GPA or whose GPA was negatively affected by one or two particularly difficult courses. Students who apply with a GPA below the 2.75 minimum are considered on a case-by-case basis and admission is not guaranteed.
**Once admitted, students must remain in good standing (academic and judicial) in order to participate in the program.
***While a receipt verifying application for or renewal of a passport may be used to issue a decision about admission to the program, a copy of the actual valid passport must later be uploaded to an accepted student's online application in order for that student to be eligible to register.
Application Review - Timeline
- Completed applications are reviewed weekly on Mondays during an active academic session.
In order to apply, students must:
- Complete the on-line Program Application: All applications for the Vietnam Center must be submitted on-line. Instructions are given at the beginning of the on-line application form.
- Conduct Recommendation: Via the on-line application, students acknowledge that the Office for International Programs will consult with the Office of Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution regarding each student’s current judicial status and history.
- Upload a copy of their passport: Students should upload a scanned copy of the basic information page of their valid and legible passport.
- To be valid, a passport must be signed, and the date of expiration must be at least six months after the end date of one’s international travel. Students are responsible for ensuring that their current passport is valid. If they need to renew their passport, or apply for a passport, they may upload a copy of the passport renewal receipt or application receipt in order to obtain a decision about admission. Once they have been accepted, they must still upload a copy of their renewed (or new) passport after it has been received.
- To be legible, both the signature page and the personal data page with the photo must be completely in view on the uploaded, scanned copy. The full double-page spread must be visible.
- Submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19: Upload a scan of your completed COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. This is the official card showing the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention logos in the top right corner. This card is issued to you by your vaccination provider and documents that you've been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Pay the $100 application fee: payment is made by credit card as the last step of the on-line application.
- Submit a personal statement if their GPA falls below the minimum 2.75 GPA requirement: Students must email their statement directly to Vietnam@LUC.edu, indicating that they are submitting this personal statement as a supplement to their online application.
- Submit your scholarship application: if you want to be considered for a need-based scholarship, you need to submit your additional scholarship application. Details about scholarship opportunities and application process can he found here. (link to scholarships)
Following the submission of the online application:
- Academic Advisor's Recommendation: Once a student has submitted an on-line application, an e-mail will automatically be sent to the student’s academic advisor requesting a recommendation. That advisor will upload his or her recommendation form directly to the student's online application via a unique link provided to the advisor.
Note: Applications are not considered complete until the academic advisor's recommendation form has been received. Loyola students do not need to provide a Loyola University Chicago transcript as the Vietnam Center staff can view this in LOCUS.
Following the review of a completed application:
- Applications are reviewed once completed (i.e., the academic advisor's recommendation form has been uploaded) on a rolling basis. Notification about admission is sent to applicants via e-mail from Loyola University Chicago’s Office for International Programs (OIP). Applicants may anticipate a decision about admission within two weeks after an application is "ready for review" except during holiday or summer / semester break periods
- Within two weeks of receiving a notification of acceptance via email, a student must submit an "Intent to Enroll" form located in your application's pre-departure checklist to secure your spot in the Vietnam Center program. Should a student fail to submit an "intent to enroll" form within the allotted two week time frame, he or she may forfeit his or her spot in the program.