Accessibility & Accommodations
LUC’s Writing Center is dedicated to working with clients of varying ability, experience, and writing style. Partnering with Loyola’s Student Accessibility Center, our tutors receive workshop training in disability accommodations so as to better meet the needs of all writers. Furthermore, the Writing Center’s tutors are trained to assist clients at every level of the writing process, including assignment comprehension, brainstorming paper topics, and working with completed drafts.
Although uploading an accommodation letter is not required to receive accommodations during Writing Center appointments, uploading your SAC letter will help our tutors better prepare to accommodate for your specific needs. In order to better meet the needs of clients with physical, sensory, developmental, cognitive, and learning disabilities, we offer the following appointment options and accommodations:
- Utilizing myWCOnline for scheduling purposes and to conduct virtual appointments. This digital interface is compatible with major accessibility software, including most screen-readers. For those using screenreaders, we recommend accessing the text-only and mobile site as it was designed with a focus on screen-reading software and keyboard navigation.
- Conducting Online Consultations using audio/video components or through a written chat box.
- Offering asynchronous online Written Feedback appointments for fully drafted papers. For clients needing reduced distraction or additional time, these appointments are ideal as they do not occur simultanously with the appointment time. Rather, tutors independently peer-review completed papers and send their comments back to the client following the end of the appointment time.
- Accessibility workstations at the Lake Shore Campus location.
- Offering a variety of media to meet the needs of clients both in person and online.
To contact us about the accommodations we currently offer or to provide feedback for improving accessibility, please call us at the Lake Shore Campus (773-508-8468) or the Water Tower Campus (312-915-6089), contact us via email, or indicate a specific request in your appointment form.