University Core Curriculum
Every Loyola Undergraduate, regardless of college or school, will complete the University Core Curriculum. The Core Curriculum consists of 15 courses (45 credit hours) distributed over 10 Core Knowledge areas. Students will complete coursework in:
- Artistic Knowledge and Experience (1 course)
- Historical Knowledge (2 courses)
- Literary Knowledge and Experience (2 courses)
- Quantitative Analysis (1 courses)
- Scientific Literacy (2 courses)
- Societal and Cultural Knowledge (2 courses)
- Philosophical Knowledge (2 courses)
- Theological and Religious Studies Knowledge (2 courses)
- Ethics (1 course from the Philosophical or Theological area)
- College Writing Seminar (1 course)
Each course that has been approved for the University Core Curriculum will reinforce one or more of the following skills: critical thinking; ethical awareness; oral, visual, and written communications; information literacy; quantitative or qualitative analysis and methods; and technological literacy.
Students' majors and minor can fulfill one or more areas of the Core Knowledge component. See www.luc.edu/core for specifics.
In addition to the Core Knowledge Areas, students must complete one course in each of 4 Values Across the Curriculum. Students will complete coursework in:
- Promoting Civic Engagement and Leadership
- Understanding Diversity in the United States or the World
- Understanding and Promoting Justice
- Understanding Spirituality or Faith in Action in the World
Students may complete the Values areas with an approved core courses (which complete both a Core area and a Values Across the Curriculum areas), an approved course from their major or minor; or an approved elective course.
For more information on the University Core Curriculum and to see the list of approved core courses by Core Knowledge Areas and Values Across the Curriculum go to www.luc.edu/core.
University Core Curriculum Grade Requirements
Students must earn a minimum of C- (1.67) in an approved University Core course to have that course count for Core credit. Students must have an overall grade point average of 2.00 in all courses they apply to the Core Curriculum.
Required Hours and Grade Point Average for Graduation
Students must complete 128 hours to graduate. Student must have a minimum cumulative 2.00 GPA. They must also have a minimum cumulative 2.00 GPA in their Core Curriculum.
Most departments require a minimum 2.00 GPA in their major(s) and minor(s). Students must check with their department(s) for policy on the minimum GPA in the major and/or minor.