JVC Magis: Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can apply to JVC Magis?
College graduates who have completed at least one year of the JVC program.
- What graduate degrees are offered through JVC Magis?
Social Work, Divinity, Spirituality, Pastoral Studies, Social Justice. (Dual degree programs are not offered through JVC Magis.)
- I am not a Loyola student or graduate. Can I apply?
Yes, JVC Magis welcomes graduates of schools other than Loyola.
- May I serve in JVC Magis but not live in community?
One of the values of JVC Magis is community life. Community is a source of professional support, personal growth, and shared faith. Therefore, all JVC Magis volunteers are required to live in community.
- Where do I live during the summer?
JVC Magis volunteers live in their community house year round.
- Who chooses the agency where I will work?
JVC Magis volunteers serve in Catholic and/or Jesuit apostolates. The placements are generally in place prior to persons applying for the program. Every attempt is then made to provide the best match for each placement.
- How many graduate classes will I take?
Volunteers take 6 credit hours per semester. More can be taken if necessary and permission is granted by the director.
- What are the benefits to serving in JVC Magis?
Participants receive several benefits, both tangible and intangible. Each JVC Magis volunteer receives a modest stipend to cover living expenses, such as rent and groceries. Participants are eligible for undergraduate loan deferment, and some participants may be eligible for Perkins Loan forgiveness. Also, JVC Magis provides an opportunity to earn a master’s degree from Loyola University Chicago. Most importantly, JVC Magis allows young adults to put their faith in action by serving and living in community with others.
- What expenses do JVC Magis Volunteers incur?
JVC Magis volunteers are responsible for paying rent and utilities after they move into their community home. They also pay for groceries, transportation, books for class and other education related expenses.
- Will I need a car?
While some JVC Magis volunteers do find having a car convenient, JVC Magis homes are located near public transportation. Community members are encouraged to share their resources and carpool with those who do not own cars.
- What do JVC Magis Volunteers do?
- Take Master's level courses at Loyola University Chicago. Depending on the degree program you choose, you will earn your Master's Degree in two or three years.
- Work thirty hours per week serving people in an inner-city Chicago nonprofit social service agency or school. Your job and degree program will be coordinated so that your work will advance you in your chosen career field.
- Explore deeply God's presence in your life. Grounded in Jesuit spirituality, JVC: Magis will help you understand and act upon your baptismal calling to be Christ for others in all aspects of your life — family, work, church, community, and more.
- What will I receive in the program if my application is approved?
JVC: Magis offers you:
- free graduate tuition
- a monthly stipend for personal expenses
- health insurance
- deferral of your current student loans
- a strong spiritual formation program
- Up to six graduate courses per year will be covered under the free tuition program. Depending on the degree program, ten or fifteen courses will be needed, requiring two or three years as a JVC Magis volunteer for your tuition to be fully covered.
- You will live in a community of up to five JVC Magis volunteers.
- You will receive a modest monthly stipend for your expenses.
- You may bring your own car, however, you will need to cover all expenses for your car including insurance if you choose to bring one.
- You will receive health insurance.
- While you are in school at least half time, your student loans may be deferred.
- You will be paired with a spiritual director to help you discover the best way to use your gifts in the world.
- You will be able to participate in a strong spiritual formation program which includes retreats, communal faith sharing and spirituality workshops.
- How do JVC Magis volunteers help others?
Direct service: All JVC Magis volunteers will perform thirty hours a week of service in selected nonprofit agencies in inner city Chicago. At least fifteen hours will be in direct service to the clients of the agency.
Because your degree program and placement will be chosen together, your education will help you improve your services as well as the service delivery of the agency.
Leadership: In addition, your two or three year commitment to the JVC Magis program will provide your agency with a trained and capable employee for a much longer period than most volunteer programs, meaning that you can have an even greater impact on your agency and the people that they serve.
Your combined education and experience will make you uniquely qualified for a leadership role in a challenging and deeply rewarding setting.