Welcome, Class of 2018!
The First and Second Year Advising team would like to Welcome the Class of 2018! Please visit Year 1 Connections: Iggy's Index to Almost Everything.
All undergraduate students at Loyola are assigned one academic advisor. Depending upon your school or college, you may have a faculty advisor for each declared major or minor.
The First and Second Year Advising team is guided by Loyola's Mission, our Academic Standards and Regulations, the Student Handbook, and our Advising Handbook. Our practices are also guided by professional organizations, such as NACADA, NASPA and the CAS Advising Standards.
First and Second Year Advising caters to freshman and sophomore students enrolled in Loyola's undergraduate schools: Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Communication, Education, Nursing and Social Work. All other students should contact their Dean's Office for advising.
Professionally trained advisors in First and Second Year Advising meet with first and second year Loyola students to:
- Assist in your academic transition to college, specifically by instructing your UNIV 101 course
- Help you plan your course of study at Loyola, including picking a major, making a 4-year plan, and deciding what courses to take in the upcoming semesters
- Explain university policies and procedures and other important academic information
- Connect you with other university offices
- Explain and provide you with information about the best academic success strategies
- Refer you to the Tutoring Center, the Writing Center and/or Services for Students with Disabilities
To find out who your advisor is, simply log into LOCUS and click on "Student Center."
To schedule an appointment with your advisor:
- Come by the First and Second Year Advising office in Sullivan Center, Suite 260
- Call 773.508.7714
Quick Guide to Advising
- Who is my advisor?
You may have a number of advisors at Loyola, such as an academic advisor, faculty advisor(s), and pre-professional advisors for: Pre-health professions, pre-law, career advising and experiential learning opportunities. Your assigned academic and faculty advisor(s) can be viewed under your "Student Center" in LOCUS.
- What are Academic Advisors and Faculty Advisors?
Academic advisors meet enrolled undergraduate student's administrative and educational needs related to course enrollment, academic success and a timely degree completion. Academic Advisors complement your faculty advisors.
Faculty advisors are expert instructors and advisors in your major field, advising on numerous topics such as research opportunities, major-related internship opportunities, independent studies, major-related career options, graduate and professional school exploration.
- How do I contact my advisor?
You may contact your advisor directly with their contact information listed in LOCUS. Click on the "details" link in the "Advisor" box under the Student Center in LOCUS to view your academic advisor and, if assigned, your faculty advisor's contact information. Contact our office if you have questions at (773) 508-7714 during regular office hours.
- How is my advisor assigned?
Depending upon your school or college, you may have a faculty advisor assigned by the department in which you declare your major. Your academic advisor is assigned by First and Second Year Advising for your first two years and will be your UNIV 101 instructor your first-term at Loyola. After your sophomore year you will be re-assigned an academic advisor in your school or college until graduation.Freshman & Sophomore Students ===> First & Second Year Advising Junior & Senior Students ===> Specific College/School Advising