BUILDING A COMMUNITY OF LEGAL PROFESSIONALS
Externship Overview - Loyola Externship Program: Intensive Field Placements
The Loyola Externship Program is designed to provide students with practical experience under the supervision of a judge or attorney and a supervising attorney from the School of Law. This program provides students with the opportunity to develop practice ready and problem solving skills while working at an approved field placement outside of the classroom. The extern experience is one way that a student may earn experiential learning credit. This experience will fulfill the live-client requirement.
Students may select from a variety of externship opportunities. Students may earn 2 or 3 hours of academic credit per semester. A student may earn up to 8 hours of academic credit after completion of all required first year course work. Students who have secured an externship field placement are also required to enroll in an extern seminar course. This course has been designed to complement the field work performed by the student. This course incorporates and emphasizes professional responsibility and ethics in all classroom assignments and activities.
Externship field placement opportunities are available to law students who have successfully completed required course work during their first year of law school. Certain approved sites may also have additional requirements which must be adhered to in order to apply to the site and to qualify for the externship field placement.
Externship Application Process:
The School of Law makes every effort to assist students throughout the school year in obtaining appropriate and approved externships. Information sessions, both group and individual are offered by Clinical Assistant Professor and Director of Experiential Learning Josie M. Gough each semester. During those sessions, students have the opportunity to learn about the various externship opportunities that are available to students, as well as the application process. A list of approved extern sites is included below, along with the internal School of Law internal application and Field Supervisor’s Participation Agreement. In most cases, students will contact the approved sites on their own. Contact information is included on the list of approved sites. Students should also monitor law school announcements and this website for new externship opportunities as they become available.
Students are expected to work at their extern field placement site a minimum of 110 hours in order to earn 2 academic credit hours and a minimum of 165 hours for 3 academic credit hours. The extern seminar course will be graded pass/fail. Additional information, including course descriptions of the various field placements may be found on the law school’s website: http://www.luc.edu/law/academics/experientiallearning/
SUMMER EXTERNSHIP - REMINDER
Students please make sure you have registered for the externship course on locus using the code number for the category of your placement and the course instructor. For Professor Gough’s class, please sign on to her summer externship twen page. Review the syllabus and schedule. Please sign up for the first individual meeting with her using the sign-up sheets provided. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
EXTERNSHIP - NEW SITES AND UPDATES
Please also see all listings under the heading Approved Sites and new opportunities listed daily in the Law School Announcements.
- Enova International - Corporate Externship
- Law Offices of Thomas P. Needham - Criminal Law
- The Uniform Law Commission - Legislative Opportunity
- Circuit Court of Cook County - Volunteer Judicial Opportunity
- Domestic Violence Legal Clinics 2017
- City of Chicago Law Department 2017
- Judge Anna Loftus/Chancery Division
- American Dental Association Fall 2017
- Rerum Novarum: Human & Civil rights Center of Chicago
- Dirksen Federal Courthouse - Spring 2018
- Cardinal Health, Inc. - Intellectual Property Externship - 2017
- Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation-Real Estate Division - Fall 2017
- VOLUNTEER JUDICIAL OPPORTUNITY-SUMMER 2017
- Public Interest - LATIN UNITED COMMUNITY HOUSING (LUCHA)
- The Fourth Annual Building a Community of Legal Professionals: A Professionalism Workshop for Law Students - May 2017
- American Civil Liberties Union Externship Opportunity - Fall 2017
- Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division –Summer 2017
- Externship Opportunity - Bond Court
- Legal Internship Opportunity - Civilian Office of Police Accountability
- Externship Opportunity - Legislative/Health
- Externship Opportunity - Intellectual Property
- WEC Externship Opportunity Summer 2017
- Intellectual Property Externship Opportunity: Partridge Partners P.C.
- Chicago Coalition for the Homeless Externship
- Law Office of the Public Defender for Cook County
- Fall 2017 U.S. Attorney’s Office Extern/Intern Application
- Uniform Law Commission Externship 2017
- Judicial Externship Opportunity - Summer and Fall 2017
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security - Customs and Border Protection – Office of Associate Chief Counsel
- 2017 Cook County Government Fellowship Program
- CCSAO Clerk Application
- American Dental Association
- U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement Externship Opportunities
- American Dental Association
- Franczek Radelet P.C. - Spring 2017
- Customs and Border Protection – Office of Associate Chief Counsel
- Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law - 2017
- Mérieux NutriSciences Corporation - Corporate/IP - Spring 2017
- Center for Conflict Resolution - Spring 2017
- Partridge Partners P.C. (Trademarks, Copyright, Internet) - Spring 2017
- Mintel Group Limited
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago - Law Internship/Externship Program
- Leavens, Strand & Glover, LLC (Media, Entertainment and IP Law) - Spring 2017
- The Domestic Violence Legal Clinic - Public Interest
- ULTA Salon, Cosmetics and Fragrance, Inc. - Corporate Spring 2017
- Rerum Novarum: Human & Civil Rights Center of Chicago - Spring 2017
- IPRA LEGAL EXTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY FOR ACADEMIC CREDIT
- Spring 2017 Externship Opportunity – Corporate - WEC Energy Group
- Presence Health Compliance Externship
- The Chicago Regional Office of the U.S. Department of Commerce, Economic Development Administration
FORMS AND RELATED DOCUMENTS
- SAO Guide
- SAO Volunteer Extern Application
- SAO Employment Application
- Spring Fast Facts and General Information Regarding the Spring Externship Program 2018
- Spring 2018 Application
Conflicts Policy-Circuit Court of Cook County Illinois
Students working in chambers for a state court judge (Circuit Court of Cook County) will need to disclose whether they also will be working or intend to work in any other legal capacity to the judge and law school. Students may not work in other legal capacity while working as an extern for a state court judge. This is a directive from the Office of the Chief Judge for the Circuit Court of Cook County. Conflicts should be disclosed in all cases with prospective supervisors. Certain federal court district court and magistrate judges may also have similar policies in place. It is important that you disclose this information.
EDUCATION LAW FIELD PLACEMENTS
Field placements at approved sites in the category of Education Law will no longer be offered through the Externship Program. Field placements and related opportunities will instead be offered solely through the Education Law Practicum. More information about the Education Law Practicum and the placement sites available can be found here.
For additional information please contact Professor Miranda Johnson at email@example.com