- Cohort(s) ranging from 6–10 individuals
- Cohort(s) will be a closed space for self-identified White individuals
- Series of six two hour workshops over the course of Fall and Spring semester
- Interactive workshop aimed at collaborative exchange of dialogue between cohort members
- Guides provide foundation of workshop and support for cohort members
- Workshop 1: Groundrules, Safe space, Vulnerability
- Workshop 2: Diversity Foundations, Intersection of Identities
- Workshop 3: Defining and Analyzing White Privilege
- Workshop 4: Unpacking and Unlearning White Privilege
- Workshop 5: Cycle of Oppression and Socialization
- Workshop 6: Effective Ally Behavior, Bystander Intervention
- Workshop 7: Reflection, Goal Setting
The requirements to apply for this program are: (1) you must self-identify as White and (2) you must be able to attend all workshops for either cohort 1 or cohort 2, to the best of your ability, as only two excused absences will be allowed.
REQUIREMENT 1: YOU MUST SELF-IDENTIFY AS WHITE. White as a racial/ethnic category is difficult to define as there is no one accurate definition for this racial/ethnic category. The definition and social significance of White has changed throughout history. You may also identify as bi-racial and/or multi-racial, where you may come from a mixed-race, mixed-heritage family where some members identify as White. Bi-racial and/or multi-racial students are more than welcome to apply for R.A.W. If you identify as bi-racial and/or multi-racial, please know that the R.A.W. experience will focus primarily on the exploration of Whiteness. Should you have more questions about White as a racial/ethnic category, and/or whether you are eligible for R.A.W., please email Naseeb Bhangal at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or read:
REQUIREMENT 2: YOU MUST BE ABLE TO ATTEND ALL WORKSHOPS for either cohort 1 or cohort 2. Workshops will be held on both Wednesday (3-5 PM) and Thursday (6-8 PM) on the following dates:
COHORT 1--Wednesdays from 3-5 PM:
Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Wednesday, November 2, 2016
Wednesday, November 16, 2016
Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Wednesday, March 1, 2017
COHORT 2--Thursdays from 6-8 PM:
Thursday, October 20, 2016
Thursday, November 3, 2016
Thursday, November 17, 2016
Thursday, January 26, 2017
Thursday, February 2, 2017
Thursday, February 16, 2017
Thursday, March 2, 2017
Applications for the R.A.W. 2016 cohort are currently available via LUCentral.
Application deadline is Friday, October 7th, 2016 by 10:00 pm. Keep in mind that we are looking to develop 2 cohorts of students, scheduled for two different days of the week, with varying experiences and understanding of power, privilege, and oppression. We welcome students with little exposure to concepts of White privilege to students who are active Allies in their communities.
All applicants will receive email confirmation that their application was received within one business day after they apply.
The deadline for the R.A.W. application is Friday, October 7th, 2016 by 10 PM. Please CLICK HERE to begin your application!
For more information on R.A.W. contact Naseeb Bhangal: email@example.com.