LLM for International Lawyers
Welcome to the Office of International LLM Programs!
I am pleased to introduce the LLM Program for International Lawyers at Loyola University Chicago School of Law. Our LLM Program, now in its fifth year, is designed for international law students, but we also encourage JD graduates interested in international law to submit applications. We are proud of the diversity of our students and their achievements. Launched in 2012, this program has attracted accomplished law school graduates from over 35 different countries! In 2016 and 2017, our program was noted among the top U.S. LLM programs for best law school experience.
The LLM Program for International Lawyers offers two tracks: Immersion in US Law for foreign lawyers (Track I), and International Law with a Certificate Focus Option (Track II). We encourage our students in both tracks to customize their own curriculum. Many round off their core classes with practical experience and skills classes. In both tracks our international students join the regular JD classes because we believe that the immersion with American students enhances the educational experience for all students.
We would like to make sure that you are aware of the latest bar exam developments in the United States. We are hopeful that as of next year, foreign lawyers who pass the New York bar exam will be able to practice as licensed attorneys in Illinois. We are excited about this new trend because it would allow our students to study and build their networks in Chicago, take the bar exam in New York, and then return to practice in Chicago. For more details, please review the explanations in our Asked and Answered section.
Choosing the right LLM program can be a daunting task. In making the choice, you will determine the factors that are most important for you and your personal development. You will compare programs in terms of location, program focus, reputation, specializations options, teaching culture and environment, tuition rates and scholarship options, networking opportunities, and support structure. Here are some of the reasons why we believe that the LLM Program at Loyola Law Chicago is a personally rewarding and career-enhancing experience for our students:
- Stellar Professors: Loyola’s faculty includes a notable number of scholars who are leading experts in various areas of U.S. and international law. They are directly engaged in teaching and advising the international students. Our students note how deeply Loyola’s professors care about their academic success.
- Specialization Options and Skills-Training: Loyola’s internationally renowned institutes, centers, and programs are a venue for faculty, experienced practitioners, and students to collaborate on curricular and extra-curricular projects, broadening the students’ research and hands-on skills, and providing a framework for interdisciplinary education.
- Integration: Loyola’s international students choose their courses from the broad JD curriculum and join their JD peers in most classes to foster integration and cross-cultural learning. In addition, our students point out that they make friends for life among their peers and build an international network with current students and alumni.
- Generous Tuition-Assistance: Loyola offers a generous merit-based tuition-reduction scholarship program to maintain the high academic standard and diversity of our international student group.
- Individualized Attention: Loyola’s LLM Program for International Lawyers is kept deliberately small to allow our international staff to provide students with individualized academic and career counseling throughout the course of their study and beyond. We organize extracurricular events that promote the students’ understanding of the demands and challenges of the professional legal world. Throughout the year, we monitor the students’ academic progress closely and provide academic tutoring where needed. We recently added complimentary services of a legal English tutor who is available to work with all international students.
- Flexibility: Loyola’s Program for International Lawyers enrolls students in January and August, allows part-time study, and offers conditional admission (ESL on campus), broad curriculum choices, and personalized certificate focus options in both tracks. A number of LLM graduates continued in the JD program and graduated with an LLM and a JD degree in 3 years of Law School. One of our LLM graduates joined Loyola’s SJD program.
- Welcoming Community: Loyola is a student-focused law school inspired by the Jesuit tradition of academic and moral excellence, intellectual openness, social justice, and service to others. Most of our faculty and experienced staff members have an international background and together create a genuinely welcoming, diverse, and caring intellectual environment. We are committed to equally respect and support students of all faiths and national origins.
- Access to the Legal Professional World: Loyola is located in the heart of Chicago, the third-largest legal market in the US and counted among the top ten financial centers in the world. Chicago provides global networking opportunities with leading law firms, corporations, and government agencies as well as with research, cultural, and not-for-profit institutions in virtually every area of law.
- Career Services: Loyola’s career services office hosts workshops and networking events throughout the school year that are open to our international students. The career staff works together with the Office of the International LLM Programs to guide and assist with job search strategies and tools.
- Chicago, Chicago: Location is key! Our students’ major complaint is that they do not have enough time to experience it all – because there is so much to do! Chicago is a metropolis that has its own unique American flavor and is one of the most livable major cities in the country with great neighborhoods, stunning architecture, museums, concerts, theaters, operas, festivals, sport venues, restaurants and clubs, and outdoor activities. Not to mention beautiful Lake Michigan and its beaches (just five minutes from the law school)!
Applications for enrollment in the fall semester (classes begin in mid-August 2017) and the spring semester (class begin in mid-January 2018), are accepted now. I am available to discuss your career plans and any questions you might have about Loyola's LLM Program for International Lawyers or life in Chicago.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Executive Director of the International LLM Programs
Loyola University Chicago School of Law