Urban von Wahlde, Ph.D.
|Urban von Wahlde, Ph.D.|
|Office:||Crown Center 319|
Dr. von Wahlde has taught on the graduate and undergraduate faculties at Loyola since 1981. He was chairperson of the department from 1987-1993. He has been an editor of the Catholic Biblical Quarterly and currently serves on the Association's committee for scholarship in emerging nations. In addition he is a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas.
He is the author of two books and over thirty scholarly articles. Although his primary focus is on the Johannine literature, he has also published articles on the gospel of Mark and the Acts of the Apostles. He is currently at work on a three-volume commentary on the Gospel and Letters of John for the Eerdman's Critical Commentary.
The Gospel and Letters of John
Relations Between Christians and Jews in the First Century, Questions of Anti-Judaism in the Gospel of John, Apocalyptic Literature, Dead Sea Scrolls.
- The Earliest Version of John's Gospel (Wilmington: Glazier, 1989).
- The Johannine Commandments: 1 John and the Struggle for the Johannine Tradition (New York: Paulist, 1990).
- "The Johannine 'Jews': A Critical Survey," New Testament Studies 28,1 (January, 1982) 33-60.
- "The Gospel of John and the Presentation of Jews and Judaism," in Within Context (ed. L. Klenicki; D. Efroymson; E. Fisher; ADL/USCC; (Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 1993). [now translated as: "Das Johannesevangelium und die Juden und Juda?us" ~in Studien zur neutestamentlichen Hermeneutik nach Auschwitz (Stuttgarter Biblische Aufsatzbe Nr 27; Ed. Peter Fiedler and Gerhard Dautzenberg; Suttgart: Katholisches Bibelwerk, 1999) 89-114.
- "'You Are of Your Father the Devil' in Its Context: Stereotyped Polemic in Jn 8:38-47" in Anti-Judaism and the Fourth Gospel: Papers from the Leuven Colloqium, 2000 (Ed. R. Bieringer, D. Pollefeyt & F. Vandecasteele-Vanneuville; Jewish and Christian Heritage Series 1; Assen: Van Gorcum, 2001) 418-444.
- "'The Jews' in John's Gospel: Fifteen Years of Research (1983-1998)" in Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses (Belgium) LXXVI, Fasciculus 1 (April, 2000), 30-55.
- "Archaeology and Topography in the Gospel of John," in Jesus and Archaeology: A Millennium Conference (Ed. James H. Charlesworth; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans) (forthcoming).