Loyola University Chicago

The Graduate School

International Admission

International Students

The Graduate School welcomes applications from international students who have completed a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or its equivalent.

View specific requirements below and please visit the Graduate and Professional Enrollment Management International Student Requirements page to learn more about additional requirements.

Students who have not received a bachelor's degree from an institution where English is the language of instruction are required to complete the English language degree requirement. This is a very important requirement: students who do not fulfill the requirement will not be eligible to receive a degree.


The policy states that incoming students are required to take a placement test at the beginning of the first semester as a degree-seeking student (the placement test is a different test from the Test of English as a Foreign Language [TOEFL] and the International English Language Testing System [IELTS]). Detailed information on the test is available at the English as a Second Language (ESL) Department website. The ESL Department will notify students of the results of the test. Depending on their test results, students may be required to complete one or two ESL courses to satisfy the English language degree requirement.


Students with questions regarding this policy should contact the ESL Department or the Graduate School. 

International students are not eligible for any state or federal financial aid. Institutional aid is available on a very limited basis and is generally awarded according to academic merit.


For more information, please see the Graduate School's information on merit awards.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service requires every international student who enters the United States on the F-1 or J-1 visa for study at a particular school to complete at least one academic term at the school before being eligible to transfer to another school. For example, if you enter the US on an I-20 from Loyola University Chicago, the US government requires that you attend Loyola for at least one term before you are permitted to transfer to another university.


If you are transferring to Loyola from a school in the United States, you must obtain a Transfer Verification Form from your current institution to send to Loyola so that we can transfer your F-1 or J-1 status. The International Advisor should complete this form at your current or most recent school attended. You need to instruct the International Advisor at your former school what date you would like to be released and transfer to Loyola. Loyola cannot issue the transfer I-20 or DS-2019 until your previous school releases you to transfer. If you are out of status with your former school, please contact the Office for International Programs through the options provided.


If you are currently in the U.S. on a dependent non-immigrant visa such as H-4, L-2, F-2, J-2 or Permanent Residency, please let the Office for International Programs know your status and if you are interested in changing your non-immigrant status to F-1.

If you have non-U.S. educational credentials, you are required to submit your official education credentials (e.g., transcripts, mark sheets, degree certificates, graduation diplomas) and evaluation fee directly to any NACES member companies. The evaluation is not an English translation of the marksheets, but a separate document completed by an evaluation service which shows that the degree you’ve received or are pursuing outside the U.S. is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree or U.S. Master’s degree.

We accept evaluations from any NACES member companies including:

Educational Credential Evaluators, INC. (ECE)

Phone:  414-289-3400  
Request a General Evaluation with Grade Average, unless you are applying to the Quinlan School of Business. Applicants for these programs must request a Course by Course evaluation.                   

Educational Perspectives
Phone:  312-421-9300
Request a General Report, unless you are applying to the Quinlan School of Business. Applicants for these programs must request a Detailed Report.

World Education Services, Inc.(WES)
Phone:  212-966-6311

 *Please note: In addition to the transcript evaluation, you will be required to submit official copies of your transcripts as well. You have the option of requesting that your schools send them to either gradapp@luc.edu or our mailing address, noted above, but it may be more convenient for you to request either ECE or Educational Perspectives to send the transcript along with your transcript evaluation. Transcripts received from ECE or Educational Perspectives are considered official.

Unless the above mentioned qualifications for a waiver apply to you, both the official English language proficiency test scores and official transcript evaluation must be received before you can be considered for admission, per University policy.

Click HERE to return to the Application Process page.


For questions regarding visas, hospitalization, housing, immunizations, and hospital insurance, please contact the International Center will be happy to answer any questions you might have about your possible visa status in the U.S. You may reach the International Center at any of the following:


Phone: 1.773.508.3899  Fax: 1.773.508.7125