The key dates for the program are detailed in the PROLAW Academic Calendar.
The PROLAW curriculum is a unique practitioner-focused program combining rule of law theory with the latest knowledge on how to advance the rule of law in areas ranging from environmental law to human rights and gender equality to criminal justice and judicial reform.
The practice-orientated courses empower students with the skills and know-how needed to work effectively in this challenging area. These include:
- Conducting rule of law research and assessments,
- Developing conceptual frameworks for rule of law reforms,
- Drafting rule of law project proposals, and
- Designing and managing rule of law programs, policies and strategies.
Students gain a deep understanding of how the rule of law develops in society and learn how to advise governments and organizations in managing complex change processes involved in improving the rule of law in ways that support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Rule of Law Visiting Lecture Series
The Rule of Law Visiting Lecturer Series supplements the curriculum whereby invited rule of law professionals from development agencies, non-governmental organizations and other universities share their experiences on different topics of rule of law.
Please send an e-mail to email@example.com if you are interested in joining our group of distinguished lecturers or would like to attend one of the upcoming lectures.
- Daniel Aguirre, Senior Lecturer in Law, University of Greenwich
- Nawaf AlMahamel, Legal Advisor for Kuwait Fund for Economic Development & President of the Assembly for the International Development Law Organization (IDLO)
- Dr. Jasser Auda, Chairman of the Maqasid Institute
- Sumit Bisarya, Head of Constitution-Building Processes at International IDEA
- Geralyn Busnardo, International Development Expert
- Cecilia Carrara, Partner at Legance Avvocati Associati
- Dimisthenis Chrysikos, Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- Chontit Chuenurah, Director of the Office for the Bangkok Rules and Treatment of Offenders, Thailand Institute of Justice (TIJ)
- Tom Ginsburg, Leo Spitz Professor of International Law, Ludwig and Hilde Wolf Research Scholar, Professor of Political Science at the University of Chicago.
- Yohannes Kassahun, Founder & Director, Institute for Economic Growth & Legal Reform (IGROW)
- Akbar Khan, Secretary-General of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA)
- Rachel Kleinfeld, Senior Associate, Democracy and Rule of Law Program, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Blaise Kuemlangan, Chief, Development Law Service, Legal Office, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Eric Loeb, Vice President, External International Affairs, AT&T
- Ian P. McDougall, Executive Vice President and General Counsel for the LexisNexis, Legal & Professional division of RELX Group PLC
- Katherine Meighan, General Counsel, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Frédérique Mestre, Senior Legal Officer, International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT)
- Swithin Munyantwali Esq., Executive Director and Co-Founder of the International Law Institute African Centre for Legal Excellence (ILI-ACLE)
- Thibault Muzergues, Resident Program Director, Europe, International Republican Institute (IRI)
- Michelle Oliel, Executive Director, Stahili Foundation & Human Rights Adviser, Lori E. Talsky Center for Human Rights of Women and Children
- Rob Oliver, Training Consultant in International Career Transition and Development
- Giulia Pinzauti, Law Clerk at the International Court of Justice
- Gabriel Rodriguez-Rico, Legal Officer, International Fund For Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Olivia Rope, Director of Policy and International Advocacy, Penal Reform International (PRI)
- Naresh Singh, Ph.D., International Development Expert (independent consultant)
- Federico Soda, Director, Coordination Office for the Mediterranean, International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Andrew Solomon, Senior Rule of Law Advisor, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Alexander Stoyanov, Director of Research, Center for the Study of Democracy (CSD) and Director of Vitosha Research
- Margaret Vidar, Legal Officer, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Journal on Rule of Law
The Student Journal on Rule of Law (PROLAW Student Journal) is published annually and aims to educate and sensitize the members of the legal, academic, socio-economic and development communities on cross-cutting rule of law for development issues. It places emphasis on making feasible recommendations for improvement in understanding, adhering to and promoting the rule of law worldwide. PROLAW students edit, manage and publish the journal.
- Thomas F. McInerney, Factors Contributing to Treaty Effectiveness: Implications for a Possible Pandemic Treaty, Global Health Centre Policy Brief (2021)
- Thomas F. McInerney, Justice, Complexity and Effective Governance in the Twenty-First Century, Problema Anuario de Filosofía y Teoría del Derecho (2021)
- Chaudhri, Javade. Saudi Arabia's New Mining Law Jones Day. (2020)