The key dates for the program are detailed in the PROLAW Academic Calendar.
The PROLAW curriculum is a unique practitioner-focused program combining rule of law theory with the latest knowledge on how to advance the rule of law in areas ranging from environmental law to human rights and gender equality to criminal justice and judicial reform.
The practice-orientated courses empower students with the skills and know-how needed to work effectively in this challenging area. These include:
- Conducting rule of law research and assessments,
- Developing conceptual frameworks for rule of law reforms,
- Drafting rule of law project proposals, and
- Designing and managing rule of law programs, policies, and strategies.
Students gain a deep understanding of how the rule of law develops in society and learn how to advise governments and organizations in managing complex change processes involved in improving the rule of law in ways that support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Rule of Law Lecture Series
The Rule of Law Lecture Series supplements the curriculum whereby invited faculty members and rule of law professionals from development agencies, non-governmental organizations and other universities share their experiences on diverse rule of law topics. Featured speakers have included:
- Nawaf AlMahamel, Legal Advisor for Kuwait Fund for Economic Development & President of the Assembly for the International Development Law Organization (IDLO)
- Sumit Bisarya, Head of Constitution-Building Processes at International IDEA
- Scott Carlson, Associate Executive Director, Global Programs, American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI)
- Dimisthenis Chrysikos, Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- Chontit Chuenurah, Director of the Office for the Bangkok Rules and Treatment of Offenders, Thailand Institute of Justice (TIJ)
- Tom Ginsburg, Leo Spitz Professor of International Law, Ludwig and Hilde Wolf Research Scholar, Professor of Political Science at the University of Chicago.
- Yohannes Kassahun, Founder & Director, Institute for Economic Growth & Legal Reform (IGROW)
- Rachel Kleinfeld, Senior Associate, Democracy and Rule of Law Program, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Ian P. McDougall, President, LexisNexis Rule of Law Foundation and Executive Vice President and General Counsel for the LexisNexis, Legal & Professional, a division of RELX Group PLC
- Katherine Meighan, General Counsel, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Swithin Munyantwali Esq., Executive Director and Co-Founder of the International Law Institute African Centre for Legal Excellence (ILI-ACLE)
- Gerard Johannes Sanders, Senior Adviser to the President and General Counsel Emeritus of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- Naresh Singh, Vice Dean & Professor of the Jindal School of Government and Public Policy at OP Jindal University and Former Executive Director of the UN Commission on Legal Empowerment of the Poor
- Federico Soda, Director, Coordination Office for the Mediterranean, International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Andrew Solomon, Senior Rule of Law Advisor, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Rule of Law Research Fellowship Program
The program offers several annual fellowships for internships with international rule of law and development organizations. Students can also apply to the Rule of Law Institute's annual Rule of Law Research Fellowship program.
Journal on Rule of Law
The Student Journal on Rule of Law (PROLAW Student Journal) is published annually and aims to educate and sensitize the members of the legal, academic, socio-economic and development communities on cross-cutting rule of law for development issues. It places emphasis on making feasible recommendations for improvement in understanding, adhering to and promoting the rule of law worldwide. PROLAW students edit, manage and publish journals.
- European Commission, Directorate-General for International Partnerships, Bossuyt, J., Vaillant, C., MacKellar, L., Saba, J., et al., Evaluation of the European Union support to rule of law and anticorruption in partner countries (2010-2021), Publications Office of the European Union (2022)
- Thomas F. McInerney, The Emergence of Intelligent Treaty Systems and the Future of International Law, Illinois Journal of Law, Technology & Policy (2022)
- Thomas F. McInerney, Factors Contributing to Treaty Effectiveness: Implications for a Possible Pandemic Treaty, Global Health Centre Policy Brief (2021)
- Thomas F. McInerney, Justice, Complexity and Effective Governance in the Twenty-First Century, Problema Anuario de Filosofía y Teoría del Derecho (2021)
- Chaudhri, Javade. Saudi Arabia's New Mining Law Jones Day. (2020)