Dear Loyola Student:
As summer break approaches, we wanted to make sure that all students currently eligible for the CTA/Ventra U-Pass know some important information pertaining to the usage of their U-Pass. It is our hope that this information will provide some clarity to some questions that you may have as the end of the semester/term approaches. *Please note that this applies only to students who will be eligible for U-Pass in Fall 2014.
You can continue to use your Ventra U-Pass when school is not in session, but you will need to load separate funds once U-Pass riding privileges end.
Loyola only offers Summer U-Pass to the Quinlan Graduate School of Business. Not other programs are eligible for a summer U-Pass
Please see the chart below for turn-off dates for Spring U-Pass and then turn-on dates for Fall 2014
Spring 2014 U-Pass turn-off
Fall 2014 U-Pass turn-on
Undergrad and graduate students
May 6, 2014
August 23, 2014
May 16, 2014
August 21, 2014
May 13, 2014
August 22, 2014**
** Summer U-Pass is available to eligible Quinlan School of Business Graduate Program Students with at least 8 graduate business hours. Specific information will be emailed to you if you qualify.
If the card has a negative balance when you return for classes, the U-Pass privilege will not activate. You are responsible for any negative balances from the summer break
It is easy and convenient to add money to your Ventra card. You can add funds or load an unlimited-ride 1-day, 3-day, 7-day or 30-day pass online at www.VentraChicago.com if you have a registered transit account; at any Ventra Vending Machine located at CTA rail stations and at hundreds of participating retail locations – visit VentraChicago.com to find a location near you
Also, please do not discard or lose your U-Pass since there is a $50.00 replacement cost for a new card. The card is valid for five years from the date of issuance and a new card is no longer issued every term.
You can replace your U-Pass over the Summer Break at the Damen Student Center Information Desk at the Lake Shore Campus. Please reference the Damen Student Center website at www.luc.edu/damenstudentcenter for their Summer Hours. Unfortunately, you will not be able to order a replacement U-Pass at the Water Tower Campus over Summer, the Terry Student Center Information desk is closed until classes resume in August.
*Full-time hours are as follows. 12 credit hours as an undergraduate, 8 graduate credit hours as a graduate, and 6 Graduate Business Hours in the Quinlan School of Business Graduate (MBA) programs. Graduates must be enrolled in graduate hours to qualify, undergraduate hours, even those required by a certain program or school, do not count toward U-Pass eligibility. Please see FAQ for eligible programs.
Updated U-Pass News
We appreciate all of the patience that the Loyola University Chicago student community has exhibited regarding the U-pass program and the transition to CTA's Ventra card system. We understand that at times this has not been an easy transition for some of our students, and we value this patience. There have been a couple of important details that have emerged since we have distributed the U-Passes that we think all users should be aware of:
- Some users are experiencing difficulty activating their U-Passes. Please note that each user must activate their card by calling the phone number on the front of the card. They will ask for your student ID number (please include all digits including zeros). They will also ask for the card number which is the number on the back of your U-Pass
- If you loase your pass, it becomes stolen, or it is visible damaged, please stop by the Damen Student Center Information Desk or the Terry Student Center Information Desk (Water Tower Campus) to order a replacement pass. It will cost $50 and you can expect your U-Pass in 5-7 business days.
- We recently learned that if you elect to keep your U-Pass in your wallet and touch your wallet to the Ventra card machine, the system may in fact charge any debit card that has imbedded technology. If your debit card has been charged by the CTA for fare, we ask that you take that issue up with your bank and/or CTA.
CTA announces new Ventra U-Pass
CTA announced a new Ventra U-Pass starting in Fall 2013. Some of the new features include:
- Issued once every 5 years. Students no longer need to get a new pass every term.*
- Works as a regular transit card between terms. The new Ventra card has the ability to be work as a regular declining balance transit card between terms over winter and summer break.
- Is a regular transit card on PACE suburban bus routes year round.**
- Lost, stolen, or damaged U-Passes are replaced at Loyola . Starting Fall 2013, students can go to the information desks at the Damen Student Center or the Terry Student Center and order a replacement card instead of going to CTA Headquarters. There is still $50.00 replacement fee, payable in Rambler bucks.
More information will be posted on this website and be available at fall distribution.
*If a pass is lost, stolen, or damaged at any time during the 5-year period, there is a $50.00 replacement fee.
** Pace is not part of the U-Pass discount. Students pay the full fare on all PACE bus routes.
The CTA U-Pass is your ticket to unlimited riding aboard CTA buses and trains. It offers all full time undergraduates and graduate students enrolled in participating programs unlimited use and an unparalleled opportunity to take advantage of everything Chicago has to offer. No cash is needed. It's your connection to shopping, sports events, social activities, art and entertainment centers, and anything else that grabs your attention.
Note: Summer U-Pass on-site distribution for Quinlan Graduate School of Business students has ended. Students who wish to pick up their pass can visit the Graduate School of Business' main office located on the 2nd Floor of the Quinlan School of Business (Water Tower Campus).
The following students' passes will be located at the Damen Student Center Information Desk (Lake Shore Campus):
- All undergraduate programs
- The following graduate programs: College of Arts and Sciences, Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing, St. Joseph Seminary
The following graduate students' passes will be located at the Terry Student Center Information Desk, 2nd Floor (Water Tower Campus):
- Quinlan School of Business Graduate Programs
- Institute of Pastoral Studies
- School of Law
- School of Social Work
- Institute of Pastoral Studies
- Graduate School of Education
Qualifications and Enrollment
Generally all undergraduates with 12 or more credit hours. A more complete list is listed on the FAQs page. All eligible students are automatically enrolled and charged a non-refundable fee.
How It Works
On the bus: Touch your Ventra card to the Ventra reader. If you leave it in your wallet or purse, then you could be charged a fare if you have debit / credit cards with a Wi-Fi symbol on them.
On the train:Touch your Ventra card to the Ventra reader at the turnstyle and wait for the Go light. Do not touch it multiple times or leave it in your wallet or purse since you could be charged a full fare if you have debit / credit cards with a Wi-Fi symbol.
For more information, see the CTA U-Pass page.
Rules and Conditions
- The student name and photo must appear on the card.
- U-Pass is limited to exclusive use by the original full-time student card owner.
- U-Pass use is subject to applicable tariffs, conditions, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures that the CTA may adopt using discretion.
- If any conditions are violated, the pass will be confiscated for the remaining term without reimbursement.
- Ventra U-Pass works as a fare card on PACE. It does not work on Metra.
Please see our FAQs page for more information.
Students are encouraged to contact the Loyola U-Pass Coordinator. Students may also contact the Damen Student Center Information Desk at 773.508.8770 for more information. For Water Tower Campus U-Pass distribution questions, you may contact the Terry Student Center Information Desk at 312-915-6642.
Students are also encouraged to contact U-Pass at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-YOUR-CTA.
Chicago Transit Authority
567 W Lake Street, 2nd Floor
Chicago, IL 60661
For more information about the Chicago Transit Authority, visit CTA's website.