Located in Vernon Hills, Illinois, Loyola at Cuneo Mansion and Gardens is home to the Cuneo family collection of fine art and furnishings, set in a beautiful 100-acre estate.
Construction on Cuneo Mansion and Gardens began in 1914 and was completed in 1916 as the home of Samuel Insull, an original founder of the General Electric Company, and designed by Chicago architect Benjamin Marshall in the Italianate style. Its gardens and landscaping were designed by world-renowned landscape architect Jens Jensen. In 1937, John Cuneo Sr. bought the home and lived there with his wife, Julia, and two children, John Jr. and Consuela. John Sr. owned and operated Hawthorn Mellody Farms Dairy, the National Tea Company, and the Cuneo Press.
In 2009, the Cuneo Foundation, the family foundation of John Cuneo Jr. and his wife, Herta, gave the estate to Loyola University Chicago. The $50 million gift, the largest in Loyola's history, included the museum’s extensive collection of art and furnishings.
Since receiving the estate, Loyola has completed a number of renovations and added a meeting and event pavilion for courses, lectures and special events. Loyola will continue its investment in the mansion.
Beginning this fall, the University will offer academic programming sponsored by Loyola's Institute for Paralegal Studies and Continuum (Loyola's adult and continuing education program), and beginning in 2013, the School of Education. These programs continue Loyola's commitment to broadening educational opportunities in the greater Chicago-area, especially those living in and around Lake County, and continue the Cuneo family legacy of giving back to the community.
To learn more about the history of the mansion, view our our Downloadable Tour.
Please note, there is no air conditioning in the mansion other than the pavilion.
For more information or questions about the mansion, please contact Lisa Cushing-Davis at email@example.com or 847.362.3042.