Faculty & Staff Profiles
Assistant Professor, Health Informatics and Data Science
Health Sciences Campus
I am an assistant professor in the Department of Health Informatics and Data Science with a secondary appointment in the Center for Health Outcomes and Informatics Research at Loyola University Chicago. I received my PhD in Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) from Binghamton University in 2016. Prior to joining Loyola, I was a postdoctoral research associate in the Department of Health Sciences Research at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, for two years.
My research lies in the intersection of decision science and artificial intelligence, which furthers knowledge of monitoring of and predictive analytics for complex healthcare systems. I am particularly interested in the role of data science and artificial intelligence tools such as machine learning and natural language processing in development of clinical decision support models. Having an industrial and systems engineering background, I am also interested to apply systems thinking, quality assurance, and optimization principles to improve health outcomes. Furthermore, I teach courses such as ontologies (knowledge representation) in health and natural language processing.
- PhD in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Binghamton University
What prompted you to pursue your field?
I think one special characteristic of health informatics that I really like is the interdisciplinary nature of it. Not only the curriculum and content of the courses are multidisciplinary, but also almost all conducted research are collaborative works with scholars from different backgrounds, such as clinicians from different hospitals and researchers from other departments/schools/universities. This of course provides opportunities to meet and work with wonderful scientists from different backgrounds. Also, when you keep hearing expert's insights from different perspectives, you grow a systematic multi-aspect thinking which is super helpful in clinical problem solving.
- Dialysis, COVID-19, Poverty and Race in Greater Chicago: An Ecological Analysis S. Bhayani, et al Kidney medicine 2020
- A Sparse Representation Classification Approach for Near Real-Time, Physics-Based Functional Monitoring of Aerosol Jet-Fabricated Electronics R.R. Salary, J.P. Lombardi, D.L. Weerawarne, M.S. Tootooni, P.K. Rao, M.D. Poliks JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 2020 (8):142
- Progressive Multi Class Predictive Modeling of Disposition Decision at Different Care Delivery Stages in an Emergency Department M.S. Tootooni, K.S. Pasupathy, H.A. Heaton, C.M. Clements, M.Y. Sir AMIA 2019
- CCMapper: An adaptive NLP-based free-text chief complaint mapping algorithm M.S. Tootooni, K.S. Pasupathy. H.A. Heaton, C.M. Clements, M.Y. Sir Computers in biology and medicine 2019 ;113:103398
- 1462: The Association Between Acute Kidney Injury and Clinical Outcomes in ICU Patients K. Tgavalekos, et al Critical care medicine 2019 ;47(1):707
- Incidence of Acute Kidney Injury Among Critically Ill Patients With Brief Empiric Use of Antipseudomonal B-lactams With Vancomycin D.J. Schreier, et al Clinical Infectious Diseases 2019 ;68(9):1456-1462
- In Situ Functional Monitoring of Aerosol Jet-Printed Electronic Devises Using a Combined Sparse Representation-Based Classification (SRC) Approach R. Salary, J.P. Lombardi III, D.L. Weerawarne, M.S. Tootooni, P.K. Rao, M.D. Poliks INTERNATIONAL MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING CONFERENCE 2018 ;51357
- Analysis of Vendor Managed Consignment Inventory System with Kan-ban Withdrawals and Payment Delays R.K. Ramrakhyani, M.S. Tootooni, N. Nagarur INDUSTRIAL AND SYSTEMS ENGINEERING REVIEW 2018 ;6(1):41-61
- Assessing the Geometric Integrity of Additive Manufactured Parts from Point Cloud Data Using Spectral Graph Theoretic Sparse Representation-Based Classification M.S. Tootooni, A. Dsouza, R. Donovan, P.K. Rao, Z. Kong, P. Borgesen INTERNATIONAL MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING CONFERENCE 2017 ;50732
- Classifying the Dimensional Variation in Additive Manufactured Parts from Laser-Scanned Three-Dimensional Point Cloud Data Using Machine Learning Approaches M.S. Tootooni, A. Dsouza, R. Donovan, P.K. Rao, Z.J. Kong, P. Borgesen JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 2017 ;139(9)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling and Online Monitoring of Aerosol Jet Printing Process R. R. Salary, et al JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 2017 ;139(2)
- A Spectral Graph Theoretic Approach for Monitoring Multivariate Time Series Data from Complex Dynamical Processes M.S. Tootooni, P.K. Rao, C.A. Chou, Z.J. Kong IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATION SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 2016 ;15(1):127-144
- Online Non-Contact Surface Finish Measurement in Machining Using Graph Theory-Based Image Analysis M.S. Tootooni, et al JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS 2016 ;41:266-276
- Sensor Based Monitoring of Multidimensional Complex Systems Using Spectral Graph Theory M.S. Tootooni 2016
- In Situ Sensor-Based Monitoring and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Modeling of Aerosol Jet Printing (AJP) Process R. Salary, J.P. Lombardi, M.S. Tootooni, R. Donovan, P.K. Rao, M.D. Poliks INTERNATIONAL MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING CONFERENCE 2016 ;49903
- Acute Stress Detection Using Recurrence Quantification Analysis Electroencephalogram (EEG) Signals M. Fan, M.S. Tootooni, R.S. Sivasubramony, V Miskovic, P.K. Rao, C.A. Chou INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BRAIN INFORMATICS 2016 :252-261
- Graph Theoretic Compressive Sensing Approach for Classification of Global Neurophysiological States from Electroencephalography (EEG) Signals M.S. Tootooni, M. Fan, R.S. Sivasubramony, C.A. Chou, V. Miskovic, P.K. Rao INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BRAIN INFORMATICS 2016 :42-51
- Profiling and Optimizing the Geometric Accuracy of Additively Manufactured Components Via Self-Organizing Map M. Khanzadeh, R.J. Marandi, M.S. Tootooni, L. Bian, B. Smith, P. Rao ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL SOLID FREEFORM FABRICATION SYMPOSIUM (SFF) 2016 :8-10
- Analysis of Process Layout Behavior Under Different Manufacturing Strategies A.Y. Obeidat, S. Gu, S. Mukherjee, M.S. Tootooni, N.N. Nagarur 2013