This manual has been prepared for Loyola University staff working with radioactive material, radiation producing machines or other potentially hazardous sources of ionizing radiation. All uses of radioactive material and/or radiation machines are subject to the rules and regulations contained or referred to in this manual and have been subjected to prior review and approval by the Radiation Safety Committee.
A copy of this manual shall be available in each laboratory using sources of radiation. If you have any questions regarding the contents of this manual or any other matter related to the use of radioactive material or other sources of ionizing radiation, please call the Radiation Safety Officer, Howard Laten, at 773-508-3640.
In case of an emergency involving radioactive material, immediately call the Radiation Safety Officer at 773-508-3640. If there is no answer or it is after normal business hours, call Radiation Safety Services, Inc. (RSSI) at 847-965-1999.
- Reporting Emergencies Involving Radioactive Material
- Radiation Safety Program Organization
- Instrument Calibration and Operability Checks
- Personnel Training Program
- Procedures for Ordering and Receiving Radioactive Material
- General Rules For Safe Use of Radioactive Material
- Emergency Procedures
- Area Survey Procedures
- Waste Disposal
- Bioassay Program
- Personnel Monitoring