BS in Biology
Loyola's Bachelor of Science (BS) in Biology degree program offers a myriad of undergraduate student research opportunities. The program's reputation also has enabled students to secure internships in hospitals, at medical equipment companies, zoos, biotech companies and many other employers.
Loyola students recommended for admission by the Pre-Health Professions Advisory Committee have nearly an 75% acceptance rate into health professional schools, which is nearly double the national average of 47%. This also attests to the caliber of Loyola's Biology program.
- BS in Biology
- BS in Biology With Ecology Emphasis
- BS in Biology With Molecular Emphasis
- BS in Biology/MBA Five-Year Program
- Course Descriptions
- Biology Course List (PDF)
- Lab Requirements
- Suggested Course Sequence
- LUROP: Loyola Undergraduate Research Programs:
- Biology Research Fellows Program
- Biology Summer Research Fellowships
- Mulcahy Scholars Program
- Online Application
18 credit hours
- BIOL 101 General Biology I (3)
- BIOL 111 General Biology I Lab (1)
- BIOL 102 General Biology II (3)
- BIOL 112 General Biology II Lab (1)
- BIOL 251 Cell Biology (3)
- BIOL 265 Ecology (3)
- BIOL 282 Genetics (3)
ONE lab course from the following:
- BIOL 252 Cell Biology Lab (1)
- BIOL 266 Ecology Lab (1)
- BIOL 283 Genetics Lab (1)
Biology Courses: Electives
19 credit hours
Effective with the fall 2010 semester, students must take at least nine (9) credits of Biology at the 300-level in order to graduate with a BS in Biology
Two elective courses must include a laboratory component. For a listing of available Biology Electives, click here.
Biology Laboratory: Requirements
A minimum of 5 labs are required for the BS in Biology. For a listing of the lab requirements, click here.
16 credit hours
- CHEM 101 General Chemistry A (3) *
- CHEM 111 General Chemistry Lab A (1)
- CHEM 102 General Chemistry B (3) *
- CHEM 112 General Chemistry Lab B (1)
- CHEM 223 Organic Chemistry A (3) **
- CHEM 225 Organic Chemistry Lab A (1)
- CHEM 224 Organic Chemistry B (3) **
- CHEM 226 Organic Chemistry Lab B (1)
*OR CHEM 105, CHEM 106
** OR CHEM 221, CHEM 222
6 credit hours
- MATH 131 OR 161 Calculus I (3/4)
- MATH 132 OR 162 Calculus II (3/4)
8 credit hours
- PHYS 111 Physics I (PHYS 111K or PHYS 125 may be substituted) (3/3/4)
- PHYS 111L Physics Lab I (1)
- PHYS 112 Physics II (PHYS 112K or PHYS 126 may be substituted)(3/3/3)
- PHYS 112L Physics Lab II (1)
Transfer students seeking the BS in Biology degree must take a minimum of 20 credit hours in Biology courses at Loyola. No more than 18 credit hours from another institution may be applied to the BS in Biology degree program.
Course Repeat Rule
Effective with the spring 2009 semester, students are allowed only TWO attempts to pass Biology courses with a C- or better grade. The two attempts includes withdrawals (w).
The procedure for securing approval for a repeat: Students must come to the Biology Department, fill out a permission to register forms, and obtain signatures of both the faculty instructor, and the Chairperson. A copy of this form is then taken to the Hub in Sullivan to secure final permission for the repeat. After a second attempt to pass a Biology course, it is at the discretion of the Chairperson whether the student may repeat the course.