- Walk or jog with a friend whenever possible.
- Stay alert and tuned-in to your surroundings.
- Walk or jog in well-lighted areas, stay away from alleys.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you will return.
- Do not listen to earphones while out alone, this minimizes your ability to hear an approaching threat, it also advertises to a would-be thief that you may have a desirable item to attempt to steal.
- Carry a whistle or a body alarm. This can serve as a reminder to exercise caution, and can alert someone in the area that you need help.
- Use the Campus Escort Service—call 8-RIDE.