Dean Steve A.N. Goldstein, MD, PhD, departing Stritch School of Medicine
Dear Members of the Loyola University Community,
Steve A. N. Goldstein, MD, PhD, (dean, Stritch School of Medicine) has accepted a position with the University of California, Irvine (UCI) effective February 1, 2019. Dr. Goldstein has been named the vice chancellor for health affairs and will oversee and guide the development of the Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences, which includes the School of Medicine, the Sue and Bill Gross School of Nursing, the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, the Program in Public Health, and the UCI Health System. Please join us in congratulating him on his new leadership position and in thanking him in advance for ensuring a smooth transition for the Stritch School of Medicine.
With Dr. Goldstein’s leadership and the hard work of so many, Stritch has increased its impact and prominence on a local and national scale. Highlights include:
- the reaccreditation of Stritch for a full eight-year term;
- the redesign of the Clinical Research Office that oversees clinical trials;
- filling senior leadership roles (chairs of medicine, physiology, urology, and cancer biology, as well as directors of the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center and Burn and Shock Trauma Research Institute);
- founding a new Department of Cancer Biology;
- redesigning the Stritch administration with a new vice dean for administration, a vice dean for research, an associate dean for inclusion, and a business manager;
- realizing a 30 percent increase in applications to Stritch (to more than 15,000 a year for 165 first-year slots);
- conducting physician-scientist hires;
- and instituting new compensation plans, new physician-resilience programs, and faculty development programs.
Building from the Stritch School of Medicine’s strong foundation, we will name an interim dean who will ensure a successful transition as we conduct the search for the new dean. More details to follow.
Thank you for all you do for Stritch and the University as a whole on behalf of so many who benefit from your professional skills and personal care. Please do not hesitate to reach out as needed.
Jo Ann Rooney, JD, LLM, EdD
Margaret Faut Callahan,