Office #: Schreiber 504
John Nicholas is professor operations management and an active teacher, writer, and researcher in project management and manufacturing management. He is the author of numerous academic and technical publications and several books including Lean Production for Competitive Advantage, 2nd edition(2018). Project Management for Engineering, Business, and Technology, 5th edition (2017), The Portal of Lean Production (2006)and Competitive Manufacturing Management (1998). He has held the positions of engineer and team leader on aircraft development projects a Lockheed-Martin Corporation, business analyst on operations projects at Bank America, and research associate on energy-environmental research projects at Argonne National Laboratory.
- PhD, Industrial Engineering and Applied Behavioral Science, Northwestern University
- MBA, Operations Research and Systems Analysis, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- BS, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Competitive manufacturing management: Lean production, just-in-time,and related topics
- Project and program management
- Interpersonal and group behavior in high-stress, isolated,and confined operating environments
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- American Production and Inventory Control Society
- Association for Manufacturing Excellence
- Experimental Aircraft Assocation
- SCMG 332, Operations Management (undergraduate)
- SCMG 337, Fundamentals of Lean Production (undergraduate)
- ISSCM 349, Project Management (undergraduate)
- SCMG 480, Introduction to Operations Management
- SCMG 482, Lean Production: Concepts and Applications
- ISSCM 484, Project Management
- ISOM 480 HCM, Healthcare Operations Management
- ISOM 581, Global Operations Management
- SCMG 601, Project Management (EMBA)
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Phi Beta Delta
Nicholas, J. “Cross-Functional Management” (pp/106-8) and “Strategic Quality Management” (pp.778-84). Encyclopedia of Quality and the Service Economy, Los Angeles: SAGE Reference Publishers, June, 2015.
Hidding, G., and J., Nicholas. "A New Way of Thinking about IT Project Management Practices: Early Empirical Results." Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce. Forthcoming 2017.
Nicholas, J. "Hoshin Kanri and Critical Success Factors in Quality Management and Lean Production". Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, 27(3-4), March-April, 2016.250-264.
Nicholas, J. "An Integrated Lean-Methods Approach to Hospital Facilities Redesign." Hospital Topics. 90.2 (2012). 47-55.
Jukic, N., J. Nicholas. "A Framework for Collecting and Defining Requirements for Data Warehousing Projects." Journal of Computing and Information Technology (2011). 377-384.
Nicholas, J., G. Hidding. "Management Principles Associated with IT Project Success." International Journal of Management and Information Systems. 14.5 (2010). 147-156.
Nicholas, J., H. Johnson. "Case History: Quality Initiative in the Pathology Lab." OD Practitioner 42.1 (2010).
Hidding, G.J., J.M. Nicholas. "Reducing I.T. Project Management Failures: Early Empirical Results." IEEE Computer Society Press.2014.
Hidding, G.J., J.M. Nicholas. "Reducing Project Failures through Value-Driven Change Leadership." Orlando, Florida: Clute Institute. 2010.
Jukic, N., J. Nicholas. "A Framework for Requirements Collection and Definition Process for Data Warehousing Projects." Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Information Technology Interfaces. ITI. 2010. 187-192.
Hidding, G. J., J.M. Nicholas. "Reducing I.T. Project Failures: A Research Proposal." Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE. 2009.
Nicholas, J.M. Project Management for Engineering, Business, and Technology (6th edition), with Herman Steyn. London: Routledge, 2020.
Nicholas, J.M. Northwestern Memorial Hospital: Improving Material Flow. London, Ontario: Ivey Publishing, 2019.
Nicholas, J.M. Lean Production: A Comprehensive Guide to Lean Methodologies and Management Practices. New York: CRC/Productivity Press, 2010. Revised edition, forthcoming 2018.
Nicholas, J.M., A. Soni. The Portal to Lean Production: Principles and Practices for Doing More with Less. Auerbach Press, 2006.
Nicholas, J.M.Project Management for Business and Technology. 2nd ed. (Chinese edition). Tsingua University Press, 2005. Also published in Polish.
Nicholas, J.M. Competitive Manufacturing Management. Irwin/McGraw-Hill, 1998.