To apply for admission to the graduate programs in philosophy, the following documents are required from domestic applicants:
- A $50 application fee (fee waived for online application)
- A completed application form
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work (Note: faxed copies of transcripts are not considered official)
- A statement of purpose describing academic and research interests, as well as professional goals
- Three letters of recommendation
- A research paper, or sample of what you regard as your best written work in philosophy
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are no longer a requirement in our admissions process, and furthermore will not be considered even if they are submitted.
International applicants whose native language is not English: Either a TOEFL or IELST score report is required.
- For the TOEFL, a score of at least 213 on the computer-based test or 550 on the written test is required. The minimum score for the new TOEFL IBT (internet-based test) is 79.
- For the IELTS, a minimum score of 6.5 is required.
This requirement is waived for those who have completed a four-year US bachelor's degree program, as well as for those who are citizens of the following countries, or have completed a bachelor's degree at a recognized institution at which the language of instruction is English in these countries:
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
Copies and faxes are not accepted as official documents; we must receive test scores directly from the testing service.
International applicants, or US residents who completed post-secondary education abroad: You are required to submit non-US transcripts to Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) for evaluation of credentials. To be considered for admission, the evaluation report must show that your non-US education is equivalent to a US bachelor's degree.
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
Please request a general evaluation report and have the official report sent to: Graduate Enrollment Management (address listed below). Applicants currently enrolled in a program should not request the evaluation until the last term of enrollment, or until after graduation. If an evaluation is requested prior to the last term of enrollment, the equivalency of a US bachelor's degree cannot be established or verified.
The evaluation is waived for applicants who have completed a master's degree from an accredited US institution.
Copies and faxes are not accepted as official documents; we must receive the report directly from ECE.
Application & Decision Deadlines
- MA program: Rolling admission
- PhD program: Fall application deadline is January 15 (for assistantship applicants)
- Decisions regarding entrance into the PhD program must be made by the applicant by April 15
The application and all supporting documents must be sent to Graduate Enrollment Management at the following address:
Graduate Enrollment Management
Loyola University Chicago
820 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
If you choose to apply online, much of the information you submit will be sent to us electronically. However, some information must be submitted by mail, and those items should be sent to the address above for your application to be considered complete. Before you fill out the online application itself, please read the requirements above, then click here to move to the online application. When prompted, please login or create an account to access the online application.