Serve with CSA!
Community service offers wonderful opportunities for enriching your time at Loyola. Whether you are looking to see more of the local neighborhoods, deepen your classroom learning, meet new people, explore your faith, or simply try something new, local service can provide great opportunities. The CSA offers one-time and on-going service opportunities that fit a variety of schedules and interests. Check out our programs below to learn more!
In Spring 2021, check out our LUCserve program! All CSA programs will connect to this series of programs and initiatives!
Leadership Opportunities for AY 21-22
Communtiy Service and Action is currently accepting applications for various leadership positions for the 21-22 school year. Use this link to apply to all positions! Here are the current positions available.
Soup Kitchen Leader- Lead a group to the St. Thomas of Canterbury Soup Kitchen on Tuesday or Friday afternoons from about 3:15-7:15. Once at the soup kitchen work with other volunteers to ensure that all necessary work is completed, and build community among guests and volunteers. Expectations for soup kitchen leaders are here:
- Arrive to Damen early to organize materials before greeting the group
- Attend service weekly at STC Soup Kitchen each of your assigned days (one time a week either Tuesdays or Fridays)
- Document weekly attendance and manage waivers for the group
- Facilitate weekly training of participants coming to the soup kitchen
- Manage travel as a group between campus and the soup kitchen weekly
- Manage volunteers when at the soup kitchen including but not limited to- ensuring communication with all volunteers, ensuring tasks are completed and encouraging communication with guests, and risk management
- Attend additional CSA leader development opportunities including monthly leadership development and and other CSA sponsored leadership development sessions, and training for leadership prior to the start of the year
- Provide connection and communication between the CSA program director and the Soup Kitchen staff
Loyola4Chicago Leaders- Loyola4Chicago is a weekly service programs where Loyola partners with a number of non-profits in the area to send groups of volunteers. Each week travel with your group to your site and serve! Expectations for Loyola4Chicago leaders are here:
- Attend weekly service with the students assigned to your L4C group
- Manage weekly communication with L4C group members including reminding participants about service, answering necessary questions etc.
- Act as a liaison for communication between the CSA program director and the community organization
- Build community within the students assigned to your L4C group
- Record attendance weekly
- Prepare and facilitate 2 reflections per semester
- Attend CSA leadership development including training at the start of the year, monthly leadership development sessions, and other leadership development opportunities sponsored by CSA.
LUCserve Leader- LUCserve is an education, advocacy, and service program on campus where student leaders teach and learn about social justice issues and the difference students can make in the larger society. Expectations for being an LUCserve leader are here:
- Attend weekly committee meetings bringing ideas for events and a passion for social justice
- Facilitate programs for the committee
- Research various social justice issues and advocacy issues to create programs
- Prepare for events by marketing
- Produce social media content connected with the social justice issues
- Attend CSA leadership development including monthly leadership development sessions, beginning of the year training, and other CSA directed leadership development sessions.
***Please contact the CSA staff if you are looking to have service hours verified for any reason. Not all service sites allow this, and we will not verify any hours without an advance request.***
Due to changes from COVID-19, to ensure the safety of our students and our community members, Loyola4Chicago will not occur in spring 2021. CSA is excited about other opportunities that we can provide to students in the spring semester.
Loyola4Chicago is a program of the Office for Community Service and Action in which students provide once-weekly volunteer service in Chicago during the academic year.
Students work in service teams at a variety of sites, including those that work with children, immigrants, persons with mental disabilities, and persons experiencing homelessness. Each team is led by a student leader who coordinates meeting times and facilitates the group's reflection on their service experience.
Incoming Students: Join your classmates as we volunteer in the neighborhood during move-in weekend! Spend a morning volunteering on meaningful service projects throughout the Rogers Park and Edgewater neighborhoods, all while spending time with fellow new students. See the neighborhood, meet new people, and make a difference from the start! Click here to read more!
Due to changes from COVID-19, to ensure the safety of our students and our community members, the soup kitchen will not occur in spring 2021. CSA is excited about other opportunities that we can provide to students in the spring semester.
Every Tuesday and Friday during the semester, a group of Loyola students volunteer at St. Thomas of Canterbury Soup Kitchen to prepare, serve, and share a meal. Join us to go just a few stops south on the L when you can.
Meet us at 3:30 in the CSA Office (Damen Student Center 232) with your U-Pass, a hat, clothing that covers shoulder and knees (no shorts), and closed-toe shoes. We hope to see you there!
*** If you would like to come with a group, be sure to contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance so we can try to accommodate you. ***