Professional Development & Academic Workshops
Priority registration is given to graduate students in programs in the Graduate School. Space is limited. Your registration will be confirmed by email.
The Ninth Annual Dissertation Boot Camp
May 16 – 20th, 2016
Need some assistance in scheduling time for your writing? Need a little “kick” to get you going? Think about participating in the Graduate School’s Boot Camp– a week-long, all-day program designed to support you in completing your dissertation, run by Dr. Jessica Horowitz, Associate Dean for Student Services in the Graduate School and various colleagues from Loyola departments. This workshop will run from 9:00 am– 4:45 pm, Monday May 16th – Friday May 20th on the Lake Shore campus in the Information Commons, 4th floor. Lunch is included for all five days.
Laptops are required.
You must be able to commit to the entire week, all-day with absolutely no excuses. Although there is no cost to participate in the workshop, we require a $75 down-payment which will be refunded at the successful completion of the week.
If interested, you must send to Dr. Jessica Horowitz at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 15, 2016:
- One-two paragraphs on your dissertation research (abstract would be fine)
- Where you are currently in your program (time-line of projected completion would be helpful) and in your dissertation process; please include information about committee formation and proposal defense - if you are at that point. You must have completed your comprehensive exam(s) to participate.
- Advisor's letter of support
- Participants in this workshop will get a taste of completion while working in a group environment that is meant to be both motivating and supportive.
- Participants will take away the work habit of designating specific time in a day to writing.
- Participants will engage in a schedule and in a writing method that, if practiced well after the workshop, will result in a completed doctorate.
- Participants will come to the workshop prepared to put fingers to keyboards in order to reach a specific goal: complete the dissertation proposal (in draft or final form) or complete a dissertation chapter (in draft or final form).
This Workshop is open to all doctoral students from every discipline. We also allow students to participate twice in our boot camp so apply again if you would like to join us.
Questions? Contact Dr. Jessica Horowitz at email@example.com
Is there a workshop topic you would like to see presented? Send us an email with your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workshop materials from previous workshops
- Graduate Student Writing Workshop
- Graduate Funding Workshop 2011
- Life Beyond the Ivory Tower
- Life Beyond the Ivory Tower (Part 2)
- Marketing Yourself Workshop (Part 1)
- Marketing Yourself Workshop (Part 2)