Faculty & Staff Directory
James Marley, PhD
BSW, 1985, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
MSW, 1986, University of Illinois at Chicago
PhD, 1995, University of Illinois at Chicago
Dr. Marley joined the faculty in 1998 and teaches in the MSW and PhD programs. He teaches courses on social work practice with people with severe mental illnesses, social work ethics, and research ethics. Dr. Marley's research and writing focus on the use of family therapy in the treatment of severe mental illness, the role of environmental variables on the lives of people with severe mental illness, and ethical issues related to social work practice and research.
Awards and Recognitions:
Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society. Inducted June, 2005.
Phi Beta Delta: Delta Pi Chapter: Honor Society for International Scholars, Loyola University Chicago. Inducted November, 2004.
Fellowship to the Center for Ethics and Social Justice, Loyola University Chicago. Awarded spring semester, 2004.
Alpha Delta Mu: National Honor Society for Social Work. Inducted spring 1984.
Courses Currently Teaching/Teaching Areas:
SOWK 501: HBSE-II, Psychosocial Disorders
SOWK 612: Family Assessment and Intervention
SOWK 626: Social Work with people with Severe Mental Illness
SOWK 644: Ethics: Theory and Application
SOWK 830: Research Ethics
Social Work Ethics, Severe Mental Illness
Current Research Projects:
I am currently editing a book on social work ethics, co-authoring a book on family therapy, and co-authoring a book on social work practice with people with severe mental illness.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Community and Professional Service:
1. Member of the Editorial Board for Clinical Social Work Journal
2. Council on Social Work Education, Commission on Global Education (2008-2011)
3. National Association of Social Work, Illinois Chapter, Ethics Committee Monitor (2005-Present)
4. Expert witness for the Department of Professional Regulation, Attorney General’s Office, and Private Attorneys on social work ethics, social work practice, social work malpractice and incompetence, assessment and diagnosis of mental health disorders, and wrongful death allegations (1996-Present).
1. Academic over-site for our study abroad programs
2. Development of affiliations with social work programs abroad
3. Long range planning and strategic development of our international academic and research activities.
Recent Faculty Scholarship:
• Marley (Ed.). (In press). Social Work Ethics: From the Classroom to the Field. Pearson Allyn & Bacon.
• Gerhart & Marley. (In press). Caring for Persons with Severe Mental Illness, 2nd Ed. Brooks/Cole.
• Rasheed, Rasheed, & Marley. (In press). Family Therapy: Models, Skills, & Techniques. Sage.
• Contributing chapter to Singh (Ed.). India Reader. Lyceum Books