Academic affairs records
College of Arts and Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences is Loyola's oldest school descending directly from St. Ignatius College, established in 1870. When St. Ignatius College was rechartered in 1909 to create Loyola University, the name liberal arts core of the college became the St. Ignatius College of Arts and Sciences at Loyola University. By then 1920s, however, "St. Ignatius" was dropped and the college was renamed the College of Arts and Sciences.
Correspondence Study Division
School of Business Administration
The School of Business Administration was established in 1922 as first the School then the College of Commerce. Thomas J. Reedy, Ph.D., served as the first dean of the school from 1927 to 1929.
School of Continuing and Professional Studies
School of Communication
School of Dentistry
School of Education
School of Law
The School of Law was established in 1909 as the Lincoln College of Law, Loyola University. In 1906 President Rev. Henry J. Dumbach, S.J., was petitioned by several prominent Catholic Chicago attorneys to establish a law school at St. Ignatius College. After 2 years of preparation, the first classes were held in the fall of 1909. In 2009, the School of Law celebrated its centennial.
School of Social Work
Institute of Pastoral Studies
Niehoff School of Nursing
The School of Nursing was formed in 1935 by authorization of the Loyola University Board of Trustees. A governing board was composed of the directors of five hospitals nursing schools affiliated with Loyola including St. Anne Hospital, St. Bernard Hospital, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Columbus Hospital, and Oak Park Hospital. The first Directress/Dean of the School of Nursing was Sr. Helen Jarrell, then director of the St. Bernard Nursing School. Dean Jarrell served until 1947. Gladys Kiniery was the second dean of the School of Nursing, serving from 1947 to 1966.
Stritch School of Medicine
Loyola's Department of Medicine was established in 1909 with the first of several affiliations with a Chicago medical school - the Illinois Medical College. In 1910, Bennett Medical College purchased both the Illinois Medical College and the Reliance Medical College and became Loyola's department of Medicine. In 1917, Loyola purchased the Chicago College of Medicine and Surgery, combined it with the Bennett Medical College/department of Medicine, and created the Loyola University School of Medicine. The school was renamed the Stritch School of Medicine in 1948, to honor Samuel Cardinal Stritch who had been a major supporter of the school. In 2009/2010, the Stritch School of Medicine celebrates its centennial.
John Felice Rome Center
Centers of Excellence