Eligibility and Enrollment
Employees have 31 days from the date of a qualifying life event or 31 days from their eligibility date to enroll or make changes to their health, dental, and reimbursement accounts.
After your initial enrollment as a new hire, you may change your level of coverage and/or benefit options in the following situations:
An employee may make changes to his or her benefits only during open enrollment or if you experience a qualifying life event.
Qualifying life events are:
- Change in legal marital status (marriage, divorce, death of spouse/LDA, legal separation)
- Change in number of eligible dependents (birth, placement for adoption, guardianship, or death)
- Employment status change for you, your spouse/LDA, or your dependent (termination or commencement of employment, full-time or part-time)
- Taking an unpaid leave of absence
- Dependent satisfies or ceases to satisfy eligibility requirement (attainment of age limit, marriage)
- Residence change by you, your spouse/LDA, or dependent (moving outside of the country)
- Change in cost or coverage due to spouse/LDA or dependent’s open enrollment
Please see the Benefit Enrollment form located in the Benefits box (upper right corner) for more information.
Benefits-Eligible Faculty and Staff
The following individuals are eligible for coverage under the University benefits program:
- Full-Time University Faculty and Staff Members, classified as .80 full time equivalent or higher.
- Part-Time University Staff member, in a position classified as .53 full time equivalent or higher based on 1,950 annual hours, or .50 full time equivalent or higher based on 2,080 annual hours
In the fall of each year, during the open enrollment period, you have the opportunity to select benefits for the following calendar year.
- If you do not make a change to your benefits during annual open enrollment period, your elections for the previous year will automatically continue for the next calendar year.
- Flexible Spending Accounts require re-enrolling every annual open enrollment period (effective date will be January 1).
Your insurance coverage will end if:
- You no longer have active full-time status
Your contributions are discontinued
The group insurance policy is terminated