Manager Resources, Sample Interview Questions for Non-Managerial Positions
1. How would you handle a boss who gave you assignment without complete instructions?
2. How do you handle a situation where you found mistakes on an assignment someone else gave to you to type and/or process?
3. How do you minimize interruptions on the job?
Independence and Initiative
1. How do you organize your typical workday?
2. How do you begin a complex work assignment?
3. What do you do when you have slow/down times at work? Please be specific.
4. What sort of direction do you want from a supervisor? Do you like detailed instructions, or would you rather just know the highlights? Do you want them in writing?
1. How much rewriting do you usually do when working on someone’s proposal/report?
2. When typing, what sorts of mistakes can you catch quickly and correct for the original writer?
3. When typing a document, which things do you feel comfortable changing without needing to check with the one who has assigned you the work? What do you feel is necessary to ask about before changing or rewriting?
4. What type of letters, memos, etc., can you set-up and write “from scratch”?
5. How much writing have you done from incomplete instructions or notes? Explain.
6. What formats or form letters have you had experience working with?
1. How do you deal with tight deadlines?
2. How do you deal with people who have angered or frustrated you?
3. How would you handle a situation where someone is pressuring you for his or her work to be completed?
1. How do you prioritize your work? How well does this work?
2. If you have a situation where several people gave assignments-all due very quickly-how would you handle the problem?
Attention to Detail
1. Do you prefer to see a project through from beginning to end, or just do a part of it?
2. Walk me through how you would set up and complete an (job specific) assignment. What are the most trouble spots you anticipate?
3. How do you rate yourself on a proofreading or correcting another person’s work? How would your supervisor rate you?
1. What type of things should be kept confidential? How would you handle co-workers who ask too many questions regarding confidential information?
2. How do you handle and resolve a conflict situation with a co-worker?
1. Give me an example of a project you took on at work.
2. Tell me about a time you changed a workflow process to make it much more efficient, if applicable.
3. Do you prefer working alone or with a team? Why?
4. How do you handle conflict?
5. What are your two greatest weaknesses? Strengths?
6. Tell us the most effective approaches for managing you? (i.e. feedback, rewards, closeness of supervision, communications approach, and leadership style preference)