Skip to main content

DREAMer Students

Undocumented, DREAMer, DACA Students & Mixed-Status Families

Undocumented/DREAMer students

  • An undocumented student refers to students born outside of the United States, but who has lived in the country for a significant portion of their life and resides in the United States without the legal permission of the federal government.
  • Undocumented students are often ineligible for careers that require licensing, background checks, or a Social Security Number.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

  • DACA, an executive memo issued on June 15, 2012, offers undocumented persons under the age of 31, meeting specific criteria, deferred action of deportation.
  • DACA does not provide an individual with lawful status.
  • Through the Department of Homeland Security, DACA recipients are granted the right to an Illinois driver’s license, a Social Security Number and a work permit.
  • DACA students are eligible for paid internships and student employment
  • Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Renew Your DACA

We are a proud Partner College of TheDream.US

Arrupe College is a proud partner of TheDream.US, a national organization that provides scholarships to DREAMer and undocumented students and is transferable to other partner universities. The application opens November 1 and covers a student's full tuition and a $750 book and materials stipend.  Application Deadline: February 28, 11:59 P.M. (PT)

Step 1: Determining Your Eligibility
You are eligible to apply if you:

  1. Are undocumented and came to the United States before November 1, 2017, and have continuously lived in the United States since then or have DACA or TPS
  2. Came to the United States before the age of 16 (if you were born in the U.S., you are not eligible for this scholarship)
  3. Have significant unmet financial need
  4. Have graduated or will graduate from a United States high school (or have earned/will earn a high school equivalency diploma) before starting.
  5. Graduated or will graduate with a high school GPA of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale or have a cumulative college GPA of 2.5 or better
  6. Intend to enroll full-time in an associate or bachelor’s degree program at a Partner College in your state; and
  7. Are eligible for in-state tuition* at the Partner College such as Arrupe College of Loyola University Chicago

Step 2: Completing the Application
We highly encourage you to apply for the National Scholarship.

Next Steps for Undocumented, DREAMer, and DACA Students  

  • Apply for Admission
  • Apply for Financial Aid – Undocumented, DREAMer, and DACA students are not eligible to apply for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA). Students who have attended three years of school (or more) in Illinois are eligible to apply for the Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid (RISE Act). This will give the student an opportunity to receive the MAP grant as well as institutional scholarships, such as the Spirit of Arrupe Scholarship. All eligible students are highly encouraged to apply to TheDREAM.US Scholarship as soon as November 1.

Mixed-Status Families

  1. A “mixed-status family” is a family whose members include people with different citizenship or immigration statuses. One example of a mixed-status family is one in which the parents are undocumented, and the children are U.S.-born citizens.
  2. If the student is a US Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizens and one or both parents are undocumented, the student is still eligible to file for government financial aid.

Next Steps for Mixed-Status Families  

  1. Apply for Admission
  2. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizens: Please add your social security number in the social security field. This will allow us to pair your FAFSA with your application and create a financial aid package if you are admitted.
  3. Apply for Financial Aid – Citizen and Eligible Non- Citizens are able to create an FSA ID and are eligible to apply for Federal Financial Aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Steps for Undocumented Parents to complete the FAFSA:

  • Please add 000-00-000 in the social security field in the FAFSA – do not make up a number or use your ITIN number. The FAFSA will share that there may be an ERROR on the page, click “Check for Errors” twice and the FAFSA should continue to the next page.
  • At the end of the FAFSA, the student will sign electronically using the FSA ID, since the parent is NOT eligible to create an FSA ID, a signature page will need to be printed for the parent to sign and will require the signature page to be mailed physically.

Undocumented Student Admission Counselor

Isabel Reyes 
Associate Director of Admission 

Hablo Español